• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Correct way to apply thermal past for my E8400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intellem2

Registered
When I clamp down the heat sink i am sure I am going to have some of the paste spread out. Do you normally goop it up a little bit from the outside and let the sink depress it outward or just start of with a thin layer of paste on the entire chip?

there is no reason to spread around the paste, let the heatsink do it with its own weight because the actual cpu core is in the middle, and since its small you don't even need to cover the edges or anything. just a small dab and thats it.

I did overkill once, got hotter.

Oh wow maybe that is why i failed so much at overclocked my amd. I always spread it all over in a thin layer and left it as is.

I'm a noob. Oh well :) now I know, so I can be pro! woot

I used to spread a thin layer w/ a credit card...then I actually followed the instructions (go figure) and got a 2c drop. Thin layer is old school and apparently needs to stay back there. :)

The correct way....is to place a small amount in the center of the cpu about the size of a grain of rice. NO MORE..that all you need.

Thinner the coating the better...if its coming out the sides you have way way too much thermal paste

Back