• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ratio vs mhz vs timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBH

Hi

I was wondering what would be best... to run the memory at low speed (800-850MHz) with low latency and 1:1 fsb/ddr ratio, or to change the ratio, thus getting higher mem speed (1000-1100), but having to relax the timings?

I'm talking about a c2d system.

Thanks!

I have always preferred 1:1 with the lowest stable timings. For the apps I use that gives the best performance. The best thing to do is take the most demanding app you use and run some test and see what gives the best results.

If your using it for gaming lower timings will give you better performance (since it randomly accesses the memory quicker timings give it better performance)

If you using an app that constantly needs RAM access a higher clock is better
(since it streams requests to the RAM the slower timing only affects the first request, the rest stream afterward at the higher clock speed, timings dont matter as much)

Back