• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My frist gaming comp build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andres9632

looking to be able to play current as well as future games in high res for a while as well as have the power to upgrade.(tried to keep in a budget) heres my set up

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

OCZ OCZ1000PXS ATX12V / EPS12V 1000W Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P800R22GK

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

LITE-ON Black SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-4O1S-08 -(only $189.99)

over all total $1,844.49

What do you think guys?

and is it all compatable?

You can get same performace for a lot less money...

Do you ever intend to go Sli?
Do you need the memory and bandwidth of the GTX or can you go with a 512MB 8800GTS?
Check newegg for 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1000 sticks for $115 or their 2x1GB 800 sticks for $45
Get a DVD burner along with your BR drive
Get a better PSU, Corsair 620W/TX750, 1000W is way overkill for that system.

You can knock off $300 easy

yes i wanted sli capability

the ddr2 listed is 100 with a lifetime warranty

and 1k power supply is incase i decide to sli with a upgraded or another 8000gtx

yes i wanted sli capability

the ddr2 listed is 100 with a lifetime warranty

and 1k power supply is incase i decide to sli with a upgraded or another 8000gtx
To clarify on the GTX issue... the G92 65nm 8800GTS 512MB is much cheaper and performs same or better than the GTX is most cases. However, toss in a few games like Crysis or World in Conflict at 1920x1080 with high AA and max settings, and the GTX will pull ahead, but the difference would be something like 15fps to 6fps and both would be hardly playable... The other thing is 512MB on extremely high textured games (Crysis on custom ultra high at 1600x1200) will pull more than 512MB and will cause the game to reconfigure itself for a little bit, then tone the memory usage down in a few seconds. Really though 512MB is enough for every other game since nothing can come close to Crysis right now.

The 850W Antec (CRAZY LOW PRICES): http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=58

Or TT 1000W: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=53
are better choices.

G.Skill is where it's at ;)

*edit: Hmm apparently WiC doesn't care about what I think... GTS all the way if you didn't understand that yet.

WiC: http://www.techspot.com/review/79-geforce-8800-gts-512/page10.html

Last edited:
unfortunately the gtx i do really want the gtx xD

if i wanted to sli to gtx's what would be an ample power supply

(and would everything fit fine? =P)

unfortunately the gtx i do really want the gtx xD

if i wanted to sli to gtx's what would be an ample power supply

(and would everything fit fine? =P)

... The short version is the GTS is as good as the GTX, but it is cheaper. If you still want it, whatever man.

That 850W and 1000W will be fine. And it should all work together.

May I ask what resolution you are gaming at?

And you will need a decent 750/800+ for GTX SLi.

GTS SLi would be less.

If you're gaming go for an E8400.... 4GHz isn't hard on those chips.

The other thing is 512MB on extremely high textured games (Crysis on custom ultra high at 1600x1200) will pull more than 512MB and will cause the game to reconfigure itself for a little bit, then tone the memory usage down in a few seconds.

.. 768 do you mean?

honestly im looking @ this long term so more mb makes sense to me.. is this true? id honestly rather drop the xtra 100 for a little longer. im not just looking to play whats out now. if so id spend like 1200 for a current time only machine.

on the other hand if the 768 doesnt make a huge difference and id have to upgrade anyway to play games at a high res in a year or 2 i may as well not bother with the gtx. im just looking to make it last a year or 2 b4 i upgrade.

also this sata II cable was recomended to me

Rosewill 18" Serial ATA II External cable Model RC-18"-SA2-BK

i dont actually know anything about cables or if it even matter what kind/brand i get. would be so kind to shed some light?

Go with the 8800GT. It's faster than the GTS, near the performance of the GTX, and costs $500 less.

Go with the e8400. It's $100 less than the 6600, and you can easily push it over 4GHZ. Most applications don't use all 4 cores to their advantage, so I'd advise to stick with a high-powered duel core for now, and save money for the games :p. Quad core is only good for people who are going to be designing graphics. In terms of gaming, it can be outperformed by duel cores with more MHZ per core because most applications only tend to use one core.

Do you really need 500GBs of space? You aren't saving movies and shows onto your hard drive - are you? I'd say stick with 320GBs or less, and then go with a cheaper external hard drive.

4GBs of RAM is fine and all, but you really need 64 bit VISTA to use all 4 of them, and since 64 bit does support many older XP applications, I suggest you stick with 32 bit vista. It's your call though.

Back