• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retention Guide for Abit IP35 Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_madvillain

Registered
Im using a zalman 9700 cpu fan and im wondering how do i tell if the retention guide on the IP35 Pro is vertically-oriented or horizontally-oriented?

This is my first build and i dont really know a lot...

Also instead of making a new thread in the cpu section im wondering how easy is it to short a cpu and how easy is it to install a cpu wrong?

Im installing a E8400...

Socket 775
-As mentioned earlier Intel's new socket has its pins integrated with the actual socket and are not located on the bottom of the CPU. The new CPUs looks like this:
775%20cpu.JPG Look no pins!​
-The new socket has a protective cover on it to stop the pins being damaged. This will need to be removed first of all.
775%20socket%20closed.JPG Socket 775 with protective cover on.​
-Once the cover is off open the lever and lift up the metal flap. This reveals the pins and allows the CPU to be installed.
775%20socket%20open.JPG Socket open and ready for CPU to be inserted.​
-As with all CPUs remember to look for the notch in the corner and match it up with the socket. Gently lower the CPU in the socket taking care to not bend any pins, and then lower the metal flap. Finally move the socket lever to the closed position to lock the CPU in the socket.
775%20cpu%20installed.JPG Socket closed with CPU installed, ready for heatsink.​
-The CPU is now ready for the heatsink to be installed. This board is different in that it doesn't have a retention bracket. The heatsink simply slots into four holes. It is locked into place by twisting the four locking clips. Simply done.

Just be careful and take your time.I remember my frist time i was scared to death..lolBut anyhow just google setting up my frist PC.You will find a bunch of help

Wow brings back memories... I remember swapping out my first cpu a Pentium 75Mhz in a Packard Bell pc, paid $275 for an Intel Overdrive chip 120Mhz at Best Buy...woooooo

Still have the P-75 chip right beside me in my desk drawer.

ya this was my first build... so far i have all the hardware put in the rig i just have all the wiring to do... which im going to wait till tommorow to tackle...

PC Specs:
Abit IP35 Pro
E8400
4Gigs Corsair Dominator PC8500 w/ Fan
EVGA 8800GTS 512
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
Seagate 250G HD
Corsair HX620
Vista 64-Bit

I just hope i didnt get any bum parts... and that i didnt fry anything during installation...

Last edited:
One thing that disturbed me, as I've been using AMD since P3, is that when you close the cover it doesn't actually fully close and seems like it doesn't fit right. I actually took the CPU out again to make sure I had lined it up right. So when you push the lever back down it seems like you are forcing the cover closed. In reality, I think you are forcing the cover closed and that's the point of the system. Seems dumb to me, but that's the way it seems to be designed.

Back