• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2k or XP???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RainMaQer

3D God
I'm sure enough that this question has been asked before... but I figured I'd start a new thread as I'm sure I'll have more questions:p ... The local computer store has win2k for $179 and XP for $169 (OEM)... should I get 2k or XP... I'm not too sure about the whole having to contact microsoft if something changes thing... and the diff is only $10... given my setup (listed in sig) what should I go with?

I would go with XP Pro! It is the most stable OS I have ever encountered! I'm sure there will be others that feel different or say otherwise!;)

i was using win98se last month. then for xmas, i decided i wanted to put together a new system and had everyone pitch in pieces. got win2kpro, winME and winXP. i first installed winME and then win2kpro as dualboot. decided that winME really sucked (crashed a few times, had difficulty setting up some things, etc) and compared to win2kpro, it didn't seem worth it. i restarted and just put on win2kpro. went to NTFS while i was at it for my primary drives. i was quite happy w/ win2kpro.

then i thought about if i wanted to install winXP. i figured it was better to do it now rather than later after i get a whole bunch of stuff installed. so i did it and its snazzier/niftier. don't know about stability as win2kpro was pretty stable. i'm happy w/ it.

I'm running Win2k with SP2 and it's a stable as 3 horses in a barn. I would definately recommend it over any crappy OS like Win ME or 98. I haven't messed with XP though. I usually don't touch new Microsoft products for at least a year.

i would go with XP, i swore by 2k since the day it was released, but since i have switched over to XP i now swear by it :),it has not crashed on me once since the final version, (unless the crash was induced my my "experimenting" hehe.

i totally agree with touser. i too was a hardcore win2k user and hesitated alot before switching to xp and actually considered going back to 2k a couple times. but after a couple months of using xp i'd say its basicly win2k with a new interface and some new features. either one is a very stable os and blows away any previous windows, xp just has some newer (useless) features and if you switch it to the "windows classic look" youll never know the difference.

Heavy

A little off subject (actually way off)... heavy1 hows it goin down there in Fort Wayne... I'm about 30 mins away... Just on the other side of Angola in Michigan :D I was just in Fort Wayne the other day... man people need to learn how to drive down there:p Anyway... back on subject... I think I'm goin to get XP... It's newer so it seems like the better choice... specially with the new features it has to take advantage of my GF3 :D Thanks for the input guys:cool:

I went from Win 98 to XP. Loved it, then tried Win 2K Pro and been running it ever since. IMO Win 2K is just faster. The only advantage I had with XP over Win 2K is bootup. XP is much faster in that area. Everything else seems to be faster for me with Win 2K. I will give XP another run once I get more ram.

i was using win2k for almost 6 months
i decided to upgrade to winxp
i got bsod's,reboots,GPF's
faulty apps
etc.....
a few formats later im back to stable win2k and havent had a crash all week

win2k rocks

I'm a Win2Ker.

SP2 is very stable with it.

I had Windows XP Pro before it was just a ram eater and a bloated software. It had to be tweaked to work right, while Win2K is a install do your thing and I'll keep you on track no matter what.

Windows XP is just Windows 2K with more ram eating and more GUI.

Back