• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What temps on Q6600 at 3.6 are you getting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madmax1

Registered
Like the topic says. I have a 3.6 OC at 1.51 cpu voltage. What temps are you guys getting at load and at idle. I tried reseating my zalman 9700 NT and haven't been happy. I am getting idle temps of 50-60 on the cores and under prime95, it shoots into the 80s. Should I expect this?

Your cooling can't take that kind of voltage, you should back the overclock down until you get better cooling.

Normally I see people idling in the high 20s/ low 30s and in the 50s and 60s under full load.

omfg man back off the volts. It only takes my cpu 1.35volts to get 3.6 stable . Lower those volts if you cant and if you cant down clock that to like 3ghz

at 3.6 i got low 20's idle low mid to upper 30's load after 24hours of prime but im water cooled.

ps your temps are worse than mine and i got my q6600 at 4ghz.

Like the topic says. I have a 3.6 OC at 1.51 cpu voltage. What temps are you guys getting at load and at idle. I tried reseating my zalman 9700 NT and haven't been happy. I am getting idle temps of 50-60 on the cores and under prime95, it shoots into the 80s. Should I expect this?

What do you get at stock voltage and 2.4 ghz?

I figured I was overvolting but went on someone else's recommendation. I am at work, so I don't remember what I got at 2.4 on stock voltage. I will post this afternoon sometime.

I know that I had the voltage on auto at 3.0 ghz and it selected 1.45.

Should I just enter 1.35 manully and go from there?

i would try 1.4 volts and if thats stablle under prime go down a little and retest. if not add a little and test.

Well see what voltage you can do to get in the low 60s temperature wise, then make that your voltage ceiling. Then base your overclock on that voltage.

I would stay away from any vcore that gives temperatures over 70C

Thanks guys. I will try these this afternoon and see what I can get.

with mine at 3.8GHz @ 1.49v i got temps of about 60C(load) i believe.

NOTE: i'm on a lapped Arctic cooler Freezer 7 pro and NON lapped cpu, will do that later.

387dx0.jpg

Last edited:
OP, voltage depends on your stepping.

I have a B3, and prime stable, 3.6GHz @ 1.51v. Anything lower, and prime95 errors out. I've heard G0 stepping to reach 3.6v @ around 1.40v-1.45v

Alot of people confuse vid with vcore, btw.

Depending on your vdroop and vid, you can go lower.

As far your temps at Idle, it's a tad high for 3.6GHz. With my B3, I idle at around 37C-39C @ 3.6GHz.

I'm not sure how the 9700 HSF performs, but a couple things you want to be sure of, proper hsf mounting, TIM application, case air flow, and AMBIENT ROOM Temperature. Remember, you can't get cooler than your ambient temp. Your delta temp from ambient makes a huge difference in your final numbers. It's pretty much your baseline.

I lowered my voltage to 1.475

temps are now 46,39,37,37

They go up to 68-80 under prime 95 and I stopped it.

here are my bios values:

CPU ~1.45v approx 1.42 cpu-id
RAM 2.2v
FSB 1.4v (QDR 1600)
SPP/NB 1.35v
MCP/SB 1.5v
HT 1.25v (aka MCP<>SPP)

my VID is 1.2625

I am at 3.6 and stable for 3dmark 06 .

I am not sure what to do about prime 95 as it really stresses all the cores. I might just keep it here for a while to see how it goes. I am open to suggestions.

omfg man back off the volts. It only takes my cpu 1.35volts to get 3.6 stable . Lower those volts if you cant and if you cant down clock that to like 3ghz

at 3.6 i got low 20's idle low mid to upper 30's load after 24hours of prime but im water cooled.

ps your temps are worse than mine and i got my q6600 at 4ghz.

stfu dude, you have a super CPU. mine takes 1.6v to get 3.6, and thats not stable!! what are you FEEDING YOUR CPU!!!!

WTF is wrong with my CPU!!! i cant hit 3.6 ghz stable without giving it 1.58-1.6v! what is wrong. I have a G0! errrrrrr

WHAT% CAN I DO????

Last edited:
I am getting idle temps of 50-60 on the cores and under prime95, it shoots into the 80s. Should I expect this?
Yes, you should expect this. Like the others already mentioned, you should drop your OC until you can supply a significantly lower Vcore to your chip... something in the max. range of about 1.4-1.42v on air w/ that particular HSF. You could more than likely get away w/ that kind of Vcore using water, and most definitely w/ extreme cooling like phase, but not on air w/ a Zalman HSF.
with mine at 3.8GHz @ 1.49v i got temps of about 60C(load) i believe.

NOTE: i'm on a lapped Arctic cooler Freezer 7 pro and NON lapped cpu, will do that later.
When you say "about 60C (load)" at 1.49 Vcore using a Freezer 7 Pro, what are you using to stress all 4 cores? Is that while running Prime blend w/ 4 worker threads running, and if so... how long did you let it run for?
Tuksonrider said:
I have a B3, and prime stable, 3.6GHz @ 1.51v. With my B3, I idle at around 37C-39C @ 3.6GHz.
What are your load temps running 4 worker threads in Prime blend at 1.51 Vcore? And how long do you run Prime before you consider your system stable? Could you also note what you're using for CPU cooling?
@ 3.6ghz
Load - 62-65
Can you post a pic of CoreTemp, alongside one of Prime blend running 4 worker threads at your current 1.464 Vcore? And what are you using to cool your CPU?

And for anyone looking for the latest v25.6 of Prime95, you can download both the x86 and x64 versions from the mersenne.org ftp site here...

ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/

Last edited:
when you guys say 1.49v, are you talking about volts that are "set" in bios. or volts that are showing up load in CPU-z?

Im listing acual volts listed under cpuz. i have no vdroop so idle and load are the same.

Elluzion have you tryed slowly backing off the volts in bios? And when is it failing prime? How bad is your VDroop? I know my buddy had some wikked vdroop and it forced him to use more volts thn nessary to supply the cpu with enought volts to keep it stable at load but after he modded his mobo for vdroop he was able to lower the volts to what it should be.

i need 1.4875v in bios set to get 3600. that works out to 1.45 unler load in cpuz and asus probe. loads at 60 :) after 3.4 on this cpu, it gets pretty thirsty. i did get it to 3.9, but got cpu ovp warning on post heheh.

th_27537_load_122_470lo.jpg

i dont even think mine can hit 3.6 :( lucky buggers

@ 3ghz on stock vcore i am in 50C full load mid day in costa rica with an s9700, at night i am about 40-42C max load and 27-33 idle pending how cool it is

thew s9700 is a good cooler, but your ambient temps may not be great

i need 1.4875v in bios set to get 3600. that works out to 1.45 unler load in cpuz and asus probe. loads at 60 :) after 3.4 on this cpu, it gets pretty thirsty. i did get it to 3.9, but got cpu ovp warning on post heheh.
Just curious, but what was the ambient temp when you took those screenshots? And you're using the Ultra-120 Extreme that's listed in your sig?

Just curious, but what was the ambient temp when you took those screenshots? And you're using the Ultra-120 Extreme that's listed in your sig?

its between 19-20c in the house right now. and yep, thats with my ultra 120e. its sitting at 27-28-32-32 just typeing atcha, but now on xp instead of vista :) its a pretty good cooler.. its just a little finicky. i used about a tube of as5 trying to perfect my technique with this cooler. also had to do some bending for some xtra clamp pressure :beer:

Back