• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok guys, need you on this one..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myststix

Disabled
I got a barton core 2800+ MOBILE processor out of a laptop.

From what I understand, the unlocked multiplier and and lower voltage requirements make these great overclockers..

But I want to go farther...

I was given a dual socket motherboard, and was wondering if anyone knows if the 2800+ mobile can be used in a dual processor setup?

I know the board was made for the MP processors, but from what I understand the desktop XP processors were also SMP aware..

Any thoughts?

I would guess that it should work fine but you may have to mod them to MP settings...

I got a barton core 2800+ MOBILE processor out of a laptop.

From what I understand, the unlocked multiplier and and lower voltage requirements make these great overclockers..

But I want to go farther...

I was given a dual socket motherboard, and was wondering if anyone knows if the 2800+ mobile can be used in a dual processor setup?

I know the board was made for the MP processors, but from what I understand the desktop XP processors were also SMP aware..

Any thoughts?

Not sure about the Bartons but the L5 bridge mod could be used to make the Thoroughbreds SMP-capable (I did this with a previous PC and have pics and a write-up *somewhere*).

Google yielded thus:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91425
http://www.geek.com/turn-an-athlon-xp-into-an-mp-easily/

You should be able to run it as a single processor system with just about any of the MP boards. But IIRC the MSI boards were very picky about trying to run 2 mobiles. I do know that the Asus A7M266-D MP board would run just fine with the mobile Bartons in it, but you have to do a multi mod to lock a higher multi in on it because it would only run with a 6 multi or something low like that. I used to have an A7M266-D system running 2 mobile 2400 Bartons and I did the wire-in-the-socket trick to hard code a 16 multi on them so they were sensed as MP2800 procs by the board. I also had to manually set the vcore to 1.65v via jumpers on the board too, so that it would apply the right vcore.

The best way to set the multi and vcore on the mobiles is to do a pinmod instead of trying to paint the bridges. Here's a link to an interactive pinmod guide and let's you choose either the processor pin view or socket view. I found that using a very fine wire to connect the various pins worked well for me and was how I modded the 16 multi on the mobile procs in that old A7M266-D board. That system is still running to date as a dentists server. :D

I had a K7D Master-L board which worked great with XP - MP modded chips but never had mobiles in it.

The pin mod is probably easier, but if you wanted to paint the bridges I used some rear window defogger kit which you can get from most car parts stores.

Back