• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

aargh, down again!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

I'm basically p'd off at SETI@HOME, why? because their g' damn database is offline about 75% of the time, everytime I start up boinc and check back after 3-4 hours I notice it has done absolutely nothing and SETI@HOME has some issues with their database

is there maybe a way to download 20 or so tasks and crunch them even when there is downtime?

Yes, go into the BOINC program and hit Advanced < Preferences (don't actually hit it, it will break your monitor or your hand).

Go to the "Network usage" tab and change the "Additional work buffer" to something other than 0. I like to do 3 days or so.

No prob :thup:

It is nice to have, you can download workfiles if you are going away or if your internet fails or anything! :D

That is another reason I switched to BOINC :)

Too bad the max on it is 10, cuz sometimes I do a lot of offline work on my laptop, and its nice to know that its still crunching and giving me points.

They're always down for maintenance on Tuesdays. It should be back up later tonight.

Yeah, nice to know you always have stuff to crunch. Think I have mine set to either a week or 10 days, but either one is enough to get me through the down times.

I keep mine set to the max allowable. That way I will still have work even if the servers go down for an extended period of time like happened last year. Since my machines are mostly dedicated crunchers, they have no problems finishing the work before deadline.

I keep mine set to the max allowable. That way I will still have work even if the servers go down for an extended period of time like happened last year. Since my machines are mostly dedicated crunchers, they have no problems finishing the work before deadline.

I just had some down time today because I didn't think it was going to be an issue on this laptop. I guess I was wrong.

Hey muddoctor are you a geologist? Just wondering.

I keep mine set to 7 days out as a 'Just in Case'. So far everything seems consistent, but once in awhile on these quads I'll check in the tasks and a huge pile of WU's are just setting in there waiting to be turned in. I have my "Connect about every" set to 0(default) so i think it should turn them in all the time, and eventually they do. Just a curiosity I guess. So far though I really like the Boinc client overall.

@Sir-Epix - No, I am a drilling fluids engineer. I am in cahrge of making sure the drilling fluids meet the proper specifications.

@silver_shad0w - I think these quads crunch so fast that you just see a whole bunch of completed wu's showing in the tasks folder because I think that only updates once or twice a day. I usually have no completed wu's in Tranfers hung unless there is something wrong with the server on their end.

@Sir-Epix - No, I am a drilling fluids engineer. I am in cahrge of making sure the drilling fluids meet the proper specifications.

No your a MUD engineer, tell it like it is........ Yeah spent many a year in the drilling industry. Made a switch lately but my heart is still with exploration.

The name kinda gives it away, huh? :D

Just think, when I was a kid my Mom used to spank my butt for playing in mud and now I get paid to do it! :D

Rofl Muddy.

I have my cache set to 3 days, and I think Ive run out.. maybe four times ever? All my rigs are dedicated crunchers bar the odd use to surf ocf/do research/listen to music/watch movies.. 10days is way overkill imo, but everyone has different needs :)

The name kinda gives it away, huh? :D

Just think, when I was a kid my Mom used to spank my butt for playing in mud and now I get paid to do it! :D
Being a surveyor we not only get paid to play in the mud (regular stuff, not your kind ;)) we also get to spray-paint streets, sidewalks, you name it AND play in traffic! Some jobs are just plain fun at times ... :D
Rofl Muddy.

I have my cache set to 3 days, and I think Ive run out.. maybe four times ever? All my rigs are dedicated crunchers bar the odd use to surf ocf/do research/listen to music/watch movies.. 10days is way overkill imo, but everyone has different needs :)
Wait 'til one of their servers crash out of nowhere and there's days without any solid output - you'll change your mind then!

PS Best bet when that happens is to temporarily find another project ...

Mm, fair enough too.. Actually, I have to correct myself - I have a 4 day cache. I dunno, it could just be me.. I like to see a list of what I consider a "doable" amount of work. I mean, I take a look at the tasks tab and see (literally) 200+ WU there on my single cored 3000+, I really have to feel sorry for the poor thing lol. Then again, my pcs are my babies :) (for now)

Back