• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it even possible for me to OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghast

Registered
When I go into my bios of my old computer all of the Processor options are greyed out. I did manage to drop my RAM timings though. Perhaps it's my mobo?

Here's every CPUz tab available.
CPUz.jpg

It's possible, but not easy...

First problem: You're on an Intel motherboard. Until only very recently, Intel provided absolutely no CPU overclocking options for their motherboards. Thus, you aren't going to find any settings in-BIOS to help you. Further, the clock generators they used during this time were also static and had essentially no way to be adjusted through any standard PLL software (such as cpufsb)

Saving grace: The 845 chipset supports both 400FSB and 533FSB processors; yours just happens to be the slower (400) of the two. There are ways that you can "pin-mod" your processor to fool the motherboard into setting it to a 533FSB, thus giving you a 33% clock speed increase (2.0Ghz -> 2.66Ghz). However, that brings us to...

Second problem: You're on a low-end P4 that may not overclock well anyway, at least without some voltage help -- which of course, isn't an option on that motherboard either. Some motherboards did allow for a pin-mod to alter default voltage, but I don't know if this is one of them.

So, if you think you want to do this, hop on Google and go looking for "533FSB pin mod" - you'll find it pretty quickly. After that, it's mostly all luck.

Two words: hell yes ;)

Pin mods are where you use a very fine wire to purposefully "short out" several pins. Done right, it can do wonderful things. Done wrong, and you can potentially smoke your CPU and/or motherboard with the quickness.

If you're uncomfortable with the ridiculously tiny wires that are needed to do this kind of thing, then stay far far away.

Back