• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alt. DC Projects Spotlight #7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ohiosurfer

I was going through my inbox and found two interviews that I never posted. :bang head This is the first one.

It was from August of 2006, so the computer related information is surely outdated. (Interviewees: If you want to update it just PM me, I promise it won't take as long. :))

Again, I'm really sorry for the extreme delay, but it's time to introduce Hamm3r!

Note: [smiley] denotes where Hamm3r included a smiley, but I had to remove it to get under the limit of 10.

You do not have to give specifics (address), but what state do you live in, and if you don't mind telling, what town?
I live in Croatia, in a town called Varazdin, it is a small town with around 50k people.

What do you do for a living?
I am 19 so I still go to school. This year I finished high school and in one month im moving to Zagreb which is 80km away from Varazdin to go to university.

What do you do for fun?
Well I overclock for fun (thats obvious I think :D ), sometimes I play Quake3, WC3 or Starcraft when I am bored or go out on a trip with my bike which is my favorite form of transportation. I usually travel around 1000km per year with my bike. I also like to read about all types of engines and motors and alternative energy production from clean sources. I also do some 3d modeling work in Maya (I am making a model of Terran Marine from the Starcraft now), and I try to learn OpenLG. Sometimes I also go to local LAN parties with my friends.

What are your plans for your future (personal life)?
First I would like to finish my education, then find a job and buy tons of computer equipment :D

When did you start your first alt. DC project?
That would be 4.3.2005. when I created Einstein@home account. Shortly after shutdown of classic SETI and introduction of Boinc platform. I converted to Boinc from classic SETI and found out new projects so I signed in [smiley].

What projects do you participate in? How many comps on each?
I participate in Einstein@home, Climateprediction.net, CPDN Seasonal attribution project, Rosetta@home, QMC@home, World community grid, Predictor@home, LHC@home, uFluids, NetDIMES, Seti@home and Folding@home. Hmm lol maybe I forgot something now IDK anymore [smiley] I have around 5-6 comps that I switch between all those projects constantly. That way I make crunching more interesting.

What computers does your farm consist of? Borgs?
I have 4 computers at home. My main rig in sig which is my fastest cruncher for now, its overclocked to 4Ghz ( 266x15 ) with those TCCD platinums rev2 running @ 1:1 2.5-3-3-7. My second rig is Barton 2500+ clocked @ 2.1Ghz 470Mhz FSB running caseless right next to my desk, and my old Celeron Mendocino466 @ 525Mhz which barely meets the deadlines :). I also had unlocked Athlon "C" Thunderbird 1GHz that is curretly down because mobo died. I have to buy some cheap NF2 socketA mobo for it. I have 2 borgs in my moms office, Duron Applebred 1.6Ghz OCed to 1920Mhz and Sempron Palermo 2600+ @ 2.2Ghz 275Mhz FSB.
Also my cousin is running Climateprediction for me on his 2500+ Barton also OCed to 2.1Ghz.
I used to have more machines but since im finished with high school I lost contact with a few of my friends so they are not crunching for me anymore.
All comps above except of my cousins (because he is on dial-up) run atleast one Boinc project + DIMES.
Projects that use alot of bandwidth are out of reach for me because here in Croatia we have really high broadband prices. Im limited to 1024/192 5GB traffic per month on my ADSL because I can't afford flatrate connection :(

What is your motivation for continuing to crunch?
That would be an awsome friendly community here at forums, and the science ofcourse. I think I am doing something useful with my systems and that makes me keep on crunching. I also like credits :D

What is your proudest DC achievement?
That would be #4 spot in our Rosetta team :) And also the fact that I am still participating in DC since december 2002, almost 4 years and I do not intend to stop [smiley].

Whats your favorite alt. DC project? stats link
I am torn between Climateprediction and Rosetta. Both are excelent projects.
climate - stats
rosetta - stats

What are your future plans (computers and projects)?
Im saving money for new mobo, DDR2 and some G80 or R600 graphics card when it comes out. Then I will still use my curret CPU in this setup until I upgrade to Kentsfield directly. (I figured out why buy Conroe now when you can later get 2 of them on single chip which would surely pwn in DC and besides I dont have money for the Conroe now :)). After that my celery466 goes in retirement and this 630 becomes new dedicated cruncher.

If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! Anything that could help the team learn more about who you are.
Well they say that picture is worth a thousand of words, so im going to toss a few here [smiley]
Here is my room - link
Inside view of my main rig in sig - link notice the homemade rounded IDE cable for DVD burner, and the mess with wires [Big Grin]
Caseless dedicated Barton2500+ - link crappy HSF limits my OC.
And backyard view from my balcony taken today - link
Oh and I am also a smiley addict, you can see that by looking at the text above ^^. Anyway keep on crunching people for THE BEST team in the world. :attn:

Lool no probs Ohiosurfer :D I too forgot about the interview. Alot of things has changed in the last 2 years or so, I haven't been very active on the forum because I have alot of work at the university but I am still an active cruncher :beer:

Crunch/Fold on guys! :attn:

Back