• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Points In Your Home?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was thinking do you all use different power connectors in your home, so you don't overload your braker box? What I mean is power is split going to your breaker box and at least here in the USA most places are rated at 100 amps or higher. I do this for safety reasons. What about you all?

The home I live in now has 2 x 150 Amp boxes. I ran two circuts to my "farm" 20 Amp each. I think that's about 2,200 watts. My farm machines don't seem to use as much power as some of my older gear.

I have two rack mount surge suppressors, one for each circut. I try to do the math to load balance when I install/remove equipment to keep either one from being over loaded. These days, I earn more points with fewer equipment and my electric needs are less.

The home I live in now has 2 x 150 Amp boxes. I ran two circuts to my "farm" 20 Amp each. I think that's about 2,200 watts. My farm machines don't seem to use as much power as some of my older gear.

I have two rack mount surge suppressors, one for each circut. I try to do the math to load balance when I install/remove equipment to keep either one from being over loaded. These days, I earn more points with fewer equipment and my electric needs are less.
Now the 2 rack suppressors rated at your home many joules, are they? Also, if you look at the box you can see the tech that installed the wires very clean good pro. Also, in the past I have watt clamps as well as voltage clamps and done lots of tests.

Attachments

• Oct 07 Electrical Panel 300 wide.jpg
    Oct 07 Electrical Panel 300 wide.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 6
Yes/No

I centrally located all my equipment into a 44U rack. Currently its on a dedicated 20A and I dont run all devices at the same time, but my plan is to run 2x 30A 240v with emergency shutoff that way i am load balancing both legs to the utilities transformer.

The hold up is that the previous owners of the house burnt up the bottom 1/5th of the bus bar on the panel and I have not wanted to spend the money on replacing it and hiring an electrician.

I can do all the electrical work in my house up to the Panel, but Panel work needs to be done by a licensed electrician and he has to inspect my work and sign off on it.

Yes/No

I centrally located all my equipment into a 44U rack. Currently its on a dedicated 20A and I dont run all devices at the same time, but my plan is to run 2x 30A 240v with emergency shutoff that way i am load balancing both legs to the utilities transformer.

The hold up is that the previous owners of the house burnt up the bottom 1/5th of the bus bar on the panel and I have not wanted to spend the money on replacing it and hiring an electrician.

I can do all the electrical work in my house up to the Panel, but Panel work needs to be done by a licensed electrician and he has to inspect my work and sign off on it.
You can do it yourself. I am pretty Shure the parts are replaceable.

Good point I am IBEW LOCAL 497 out of Hammond Indiana and I could do it for you.;)
I do sales :p

I do have a good relationship with my Electrician who loves doing work at my properties because I run all the wire, do all the boxes/sockets/switches label everything, and then all he has to do is pull it into the breaker box, land it on a breaker and sign off. Generally gets his 1st hour fee for 30min of work and a cup of fresh coffee each visit.

He is also like 75 years old, and offered to do the swap hot so I could save a few $$, my response was hell no, i dont care how long anyone has been working the industry were not pulling a box off the wall with hot main's its just too risky.

Also, i need to pull a new neutral because from the poll to the house is 1/2 the size of my legs in ALU not copper which for 1970's construction was well within code, its not up to our usage with modern stuff and all the gear I run. But that involves trenching and pulling under the street so... yeah going to do it, and the panel swap but probably at the same time in the future.

Last edited:
Back