• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

svchost.exe @ 25% after installing new mobo???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

troopertroop

Registered
Since yesterday I am the proud owner of a P7N SLI platinum :bday: I booted into winxp and can run it without problems after installing new drivers because my old mobo was a p6n sli v2. One strange thing is that svchost.exe keeps running and takes exactly 25% of my cpu usage ALL THE TIME... When I close it the language bar went blanc and comes back a few moments later and the system runs fine and stable afterward. If reboot, the problem come back again.
Anyone knows why this is happening?

If you stop the "Automatic Updates" service, does CPU usage drop?

It is usually recommended that you re-install Windows if you change motherboards. I'm surprised it is working honestly.

I think that's because I had a p6n SLI v2 first which was also a MSI board. All drivers works also on my new board, when setupping I got a notice that "the older versions" are getting replaced! Spared me a lot of time + work haha :santa:

It may have saved you time in getting a running computer, but now you have to deal with this ;)

I always suggest a reinstall when you change motherboards, and this is no different situation :beer:

I have seen a similar issue with Vista x64. The first suggestion I have is to use procexp.exe and debugging tools 1.1 to review the handles being used by svchost.exe. If u enable the column "handle" count in task mgr, you should be able to determine an offending process(handle counts should never exceed 5K). My particular problem ended up being dwm.exe(desktop mgr/aero desktop), which roots itself in svchost. I installed a hotfox beta cat driver to help what I thought was an issue with my 8.3 cats. This driver would consistently allocate ALL available memory over time. It wasn't until I realized the dwm.exe was embedded in svchost that my problem was solved by uninstalling the beta driver. The short answer is you must have an offending driver. Sorry for long explanation, hope this helps.:d

I have seen a similar issue with Vista x64. The first suggestion I have is to use procexp.exe and debugging tools 1.1 to review the handles being used by svchost.exe. If u enable the column "handle" count in task mgr, you should be able to determine an offending process(handle counts should never exceed 5K). My particular problem ended up being dwm.exe(desktop mgr/aero desktop), which roots itself in svchost. I installed a hotfox beta cat driver to help what I thought was an issue with my 8.3 cats. This driver would consistently allocate ALL available memory over time. It wasn't until I realized the dwm.exe was embedded in svchost that my problem was solved by uninstalling the beta driver. The short answer is you must have an offending driver. Sorry for long explanation, hope this helps.:d

Don't bother, I installed a clean copy, problem is gone now but thnx anyway :)

Back