• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo is bending after installing into case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

i installed my motherboard into my rack mount server case. the case only had room for four mobo standoffs, i also noticed after installing the board that at the top of the board near my CORSAIR A70 CPU cooler. below is a picture edited to show the issue. the big oval shaped area in red is the area thats bending a bit, the other 4 smaller red circles show where the mobo is screwed to the standoffs. im guessing its bending due to the weight of my cpu cooler how bad will this be in the long run for my board and will it damage it heres a link to my mobo

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-G31M-S2L-rev-10#ov

edit i installed the cpu cooler before installing the mobo into the case because it was my first time installing a cpu cooler with a back plate
mobo.jpg

you can get rubber furniture pads at the hardware store to support it, they are for the ends of chair legs and they are self adhesive.
I use them with my asrock 970 board that is sort of atx size, under the motherboard power connector.

Seems to me the mounting brackets may not be adjusted right for the socket type, if it is then I don't know why it's bending, it should not bend. Re-check the brackets but as long as the MB don't break then you should be ok.

Anything non-conductive will work. AS C_D said, could also just cut a pencil ersaer to size to support thr board. Anything really.
I would be inclined to get it as straight as possible. Multiple heating/cooling cycles are already hard enough on solder joints they don't need the added physical strain.

Pics? Or make & model. Question remains, is there a cut-out on the MB tray where the CPU & backplate would line up?

robert there is no mobo tray just some standoffs that screw into the bottom of the 4u rack mount server case phpO7VuO0PM.jpg

Perhaps you don't have the clearance between the MB CPU backplate the bottom of the case and are getting some bulging. You can get longer standoffs to raise the MB up a tad, but your other bits may not line up when you do. Try putting some TIM on the backplate screws and then remove the MB, look at the bottom of the case and see if it has rubbed off on the tray. You can cut a hole in the tray if that's the case, releiving the stress on the MB.

I agree with Robert, get a hole cut out so the back of the cooler mounting bracket don't push on the case, or get a new case.

Perhaps you don't have the clearance between the MB CPU backplate the bottom of the case and are getting some bulging. You can get longer standoffs to raise the MB up a tad, but your other bits may not line up when you do. Try putting some TIM on the backplate screws and then remove the MB, look at the bottom of the case and see if it has rubbed off on the tray. You can cut a hole in the tray if that's the case, releiving the stress on the MB.

my case has no tray the mobo just site inside the case on the bottom the standoffs are attached directly to the bottom of the case and not to a tray

Have you tried the method described, or other? Matters not whether it's a tray or case panel, if there's no room for clearance you'll need to either cut a hole or get a new case as Whitehawk suggested.

So is this bending creating a concave or a convex effect? In other words, is the bend making the board bulge up or down? From your early description it sounds like it was bowing down toward the rack floor due to the weight of the cooler. But if the cooler backplate is thicker than the space underneath the motherboard (as some are interpreting your issue) you would be getting an upward bow. Which is it?

So is this bending creating a concave or a convex effect? In other words, is the bend making the board bulge up or down? From your early description it sounds like it was bowing down toward the rack floor due to the weight of the cooler. But if the cooler backplate is thicker than the space underneath the motherboard (as some are interpreting your issue) you would be getting an upward bow. Which is it?

trents from what i can tell it looks like its bending down towards the bottom of the case. the rack mount server case im using is a 4u server case that sits on its side in desktop orientation, so the cpu cooler sits up the same way a pc monitor would sit up rather than sideways. below are 2 links to the cpu cooler im using just in case

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/corsair-a70-cpu-cooler-review/

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181011

Yes, I am familiar with that cooler. I used to have one. It's pretty heavy.

Thanks for the explanation about the case. I was thinking of rackmount as in thin clients that slip into a tall rack horizontally. One thing you could do is to drill down into the cooler plates from the top and screw in an eye hook. Get some zip ties or wire and loop it through the eye hook and attach the other end up above in the case somewhere. That would pull up against gravity and support the weight of the cooler. I have actually seen that done. Thermalright used to sell a pure cooper version of their TRUE 120 that weighed a ton and people used to support it that way.

Yes, I am familiar with that cooler. I used to have one. It's pretty heavy.

Thanks for the explanation about the case. I was thinking of rackmount as in thin clients that slip into a tall rack horizontally. One thing you could do is to drill down into the cooler plates from the top and screw in an eye hook. Get some zip ties or wire and loop it through the eye hook and attach the other end up above in the case somewhere. That would pull up against gravity and support the weight of the cooler. I have actually seen that done. Thermalright used to sell a pure cooper version of their TRUE 120 that weighed a ton and people used to support it that way.

thanks in about 2 weeks im getting a proper micro atx case so i think it will be fine for now as long as i dont move it to much

Back