• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about my q6600 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minh

Registered
hi guys,

just got my q6600 last week and i just started play around today. I got one problem and gotta ask for your help.

currently i m running 356x9=3.2 at 1.3000 voltage, ram set to auto, FSB, MCH and ICH all set to auto. Prime stable (small FFT) for about 5 hours. Like everyone here I want to push it to about 3.4 or so.

So I went on and push to 376x9=3.4 at 1.3625 and it failed within 20 min in prime. Again, ram and other feature set to auto. temp is within the acceptable range (idle 30's / load 60's)

question is from 3.2 to 3.4, does it usually take that much more cpu voltage? or is it prime failed because of other feature voltage should be set according, like FSB, MCH and ICH chipset. Any advice on what should be done in order to achieve that 3.4

My system is
Asus P5W DH
Q6600
2 GB of Crucial Ballistix memory
Tuniq tower 120

thank you all for your help.

Using the following BIOS template for a P5W DH, fill out as much information as you can in relation to your current 3.2GHz clock (also make note of your current BIOS revision, the VID of your chip, and the model of Ballistix you have installed)...
Code:
JumperFree Configuration
AI Overclocking set to: 
CPU Frequency : 
DRAMM Frequency :
Performance Mode :
PCI Express Frequency :
PCI Clock Sync Mode :  
Memory Voltage : 
CPU Vcore Voltage :
FSB Termination V : 
MCH Chipset V : 
ICH Chipset V : 
--------------------------------------------------------
CPU Configuration
****Default CPU Ratio :
****Ratio CMOS Setting:
Microcode Update : 
Max CPUID Value Limit :
Execute Disable Function :
CPU Internal Thermal Control :
Virtualization Technology :
Intel SpeedStep Technology :
*Advanced Chipset Settings
*Configure DRAM Timing By SPD :
*DRAM CAS Latency : 
*DRAM RAS Precharge :
*DRAM RAS To CAS Delay :
*DRAM RAS Activate to Precharge Delay :
*DRAM Write Recovery Time :
Hyper Path 3 : 
DRAM Throttling :

going from 3.2 to 3.4+ takes an exponential amount of voltage on my q6600.
I can do 3.2Ghz @ 1.32v bios, to get to 3.4, I need 1.42v bios and 3.6Ghz I need 1.5v bios.

Follow redduc900's advice and post your BIOS settings. However, I have a very strong suspicion about your problem, and here is my standard advice for these types of threads:

The most common mistake I see from people who are new to overclocking is that they start pushing up the FSB frequency without paying attention to what it's doing to the memory. No, leaving RAM on [AUTO] settings doesn't mean you'll be okay. By default if you are using a Q6600 CPU with PC2-6400 memory, many motherboards will set the FSB:Memory ratio to 2:3, so your memory will always run 1.5 times faster than the FSB. At stock settings (266 MHz FSB), this puts the memory at its rated 400 MHz. As you increase the FSB from here, you are overclocking the memory and will quickly run into instability unless you have very high performance memory. To solve this problem, use a lower FSB:Memory ratio such as 1:1. This will allow you to push your FSB all the way to 400 MHz without overclocking the memory.

Note: The naming convention used for the FSB:Memory ratio varies from motherboard to motherboard.

Hi guys,

first, thank you to redduc900, terran2k, KillrBuckeye for your reply. Here is my settings.

JumperFree Configuration
AI Overclocking set to: MANUAL
CPU Frequency : 383
DRAMM Frequency : 766
Performance Mode : STANDARD
PCI Express Frequency : 100
PCI Clock Sync Mode : 33.33
Memory Voltage : 2.2
CPU Vcore Voltage : 1.3875
FSB Termination V : AUTO
MCH Chipset V : AUTO
ICH Chipset V : AUTO
CPU Configuration
****Default CPU Ratio : 9
****Ratio CMOS Setting: MANUAL
Microcode Update : DISABLE
Max CPUID Value Limit : DISALBE
Execute Disable Function : DISABLE
CPU Internal Thermal Control : DISABLE
Virtualization Technology : DISABLE
Intel SpeedStep Technology : DISABLE
*Advanced Chipset Settings
*Configure DRAM Timing By SPD : DISABLE
*DRAM CAS Latency : 4
*DRAM RAS Precharge : 4
*DRAM RAS To CAS Delay : 4
*DRAM RAS Activate to Precharge Delay : 12
*DRAM Write Recovery Time : 4
Hyper Path 3 : DISABLE
DRAM Throttling : DISABLE

Currently I am running my comp at the above settings. Prime95 this past the weekend small fft over 8 hours and blend over 4 hours stable without any errors. Temps are idle 33 and load 59.

My question is what needed to be done if i want to push this a bit further? I would be very very happy if i can get to 3.6 stable. Any advice on what should settings should be done to get 3.6? I know I need to have my MCH chipset voltage and ICH chipset voltage changed but not sure what voltage is good. any info where to start please.

thank you again guys!

Back