• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GT SLI nub question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

henzo

Is there a difference, or performance hit if I buy a second 8800GT that is not identicle to my BFG OC version? Meaning if I but an MSI or EVGA 8800GT, are they compatable, or will there be a negative effect performance wise? I plan to oc both cards once bought. I'm looking at these cards as possible candidates:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3538922&CatId=3670

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150253

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150279

afaik, as long as they are the same speeds it should be ok, however my advice would be to get the exact model you have just to be on the safe side.

You can mix and match vid cards from different brands as long as they have the same core/memory arhitecture. So a XFX, EVGA and MSI 8800GT 512 will all run fine in SLI. Make sure you pick all the same memory versions i.e. 2 x 256 MB or 2 x 512, not a 256 and 512 MB, it will work it is just not economical as your SLI will assume the 256 and clocks of the lower card.

Yes you can mix and match any brand but like Brolloks said, make sure they're specs are exactly the same. Alot of ppl do that when they plan to make an SLI setup later on and find a better deal for another card.

I have also read that overclocking your cards after connecting then as SLI is not a good idea. I know I read this somewhere Ill post links so you can make a better judgment. Personally, i think your setup would be fast enough, dont see why you would want to OC 8800GT sli. Would be overkill and you will have to manage their cooling even more than before.

I have also read that overclocking your cards after connecting then as SLI is not a good idea. I know I read this somewhere Ill post links so you can make a better judgment.

This is not true at all...I have an EVGA and BFG 8800GTS in SLI and can OC the SLI to the same speeds as a single card, so no reason not to OC a SLI setup...please do not make statements like that unless you have proof and actually done it.

It is unstable in many cases. My friends 8600GTS sli long time ago was acting up on him. He was using Rivatuner and it should have OC both of his cards at the same time. Turned out his games started to crash, even his computer was unstable. He even tried Coolbits. In nvidia control panel when he individually checked the clock speeds, they were different for both cards. And even a small difference could cause that.

It is unstable in many cases. My friends 8600GTS sli long time ago was acting up on him. He was using Rivatuner and it should have OC both of his cards at the same time. Turned out his games started to crash, even his computer was unstable. In nvidia control panel when he individually checked the clock speeds, they were different for both cards. And even a small difference could cause that.

Well, your friend probably was not doing it right, if you use the correct drivers and use the correct programs and test for stability etc there will be absolutely no reason why OCing a SLI setup will not work. There are many people who have successfully run SLI setups and have much success with OCing it, you have to knwo what you doing off course like anything else.

Thanks for all the replies. I was planning on updating the monitor (I currently have a 22" Hanns G and it works great) to a 24" with a res of 1920x1200 so I can get full HD out of it when watching meh Blu-Ray vids.

@Brollocks: I use Riva Tuner to oc, is there a new area in RivaTuner to oc an SLI set-up, or does it do each card individually?

@Brollocks: I use Riva Tuner to oc, is there a new area in RivaTuner to oc an SLI set-up, or does it do each card individually?

Once you have enabled SI via nvidia control panel (just verify using GPUz) then you can use rivatuner which will OC card together, you should not OC cards seprately.

Okay thanks. One more thing, how long should I run ATI Tool for when scanning for artifacts? I usually just use Fur and then game the hell out of it for a few hours to see if what was stable in Fur is good.

When you're Ocing an SLI set up, it's recomended to first OC both cards individually, find out what the max of both cards is, then OC to the lower of the two. Otherwise you will run in to issues. So, OCing isn't something to be avoided. Just use common sense. Every card has its own individual limits and that whichever starts freaking out first will determine the upper limit for the pair.

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link"

At least... that's what I hear. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Back