• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Deciding (x370 Mobos)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

I think I am finally tired of the crappy ram controller in my 8320e so I was looking at a new mobo cpu combo and I am stuck on what to get. I cant get ram speed above 800Mhz no matter what I do. Intel it too expensive for price to performance in my mind, especially if I want something to OC.

first off i'll probably OC at some point, not LN2 or any thing but something that's going to have a decent VRM to handle a moderate OC. Currently my 8320e is being forced to run 4Ghz (its turbo speed) all the time 4.2 in the winter, to give you an idea.

i'm just gaming and not much else, the rest of the system that would carry over is a pair of R9 270x's a pair plain ol mushkin SSD's, 850 watt corsair something PSU and a 1tb platter drive in a Nanoxia DS6

any way I am looking at these:

ASRock Fatal1ty X370
this plus a R5 1600 is $340, only $4 combo purchase but mobo has a mail in for $20 plus it looks to have a fairly beefy VRM coolers. plus an idle curiosity to try ASRock for some reason, seems to get decent reviews

GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming K3
this plus an R7 1700x is $374, that's $55 off a combo price and only a few bucks off the R5 1600 above but is it really worth that extra $30? not sure on the VRM on this, couldn't find much mention of OC on this board

GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming K5
this plus an R7 1700x is $384, same situation as above with price VRM etc.

MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON
this plus a R5 1600x is a daily combo deal for $315 after promo code and $295 after $20 mail in. I know nothing about this particular mobo, my wifes MSI FM socket board has been very nice after a poorly coded bios flash got the board RMAd (surprised they admitted fault with the bios in question and paid for cross shipping)

what do you think?

not in a super major hurry unless I should be jumping on the daily but I came back with more money than I thought from Portland retro gaming expo so I figured i'd help the other end of my gaming life....plus a tankless hot water heater...

side question about heatsinks, will heatsinks that use stock AM3 retention mechanisms work on AM4?

Last edited:
Of those 4 choices I like the Giga K5 combo best. My choice would be to take another look at the asus boards. I cant remember where but read that there were some issues with gigabyte bioses ..... if i remember tonight ill try and find it. I have the asrocķ tiachi board .... did what it was suposed to but just left me wanting more. Im back with asus now not sure what my plans for the asrocķ board is.

I've had 2 different MSI boards and even the low ens SLI Plus I had no complaints about. I'm running the Titanium now with the 1600X (at stock) 3.7 all cores and 4.1 on two. Works great for gaming IMO. Take the $$ you save and spend it on some good Samsung "B" ram. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches

poop that was yesterdays daily, maybe they'll so it again soon. Or maybe a better combo. i'll look again when I get home, its a bit busier tonight at work
is Samsung having another TCCD moment with their ram like back in the day? what brands use their b series chips?
and as for asus I have never had any luck with their products or their support...

The Samsung B Dies have proven to play nice with The Ryzen chips ...... look for 3200 CL14 which will most likely be Samsung B dies..... CL15 most likely Hynix which are a little more finicky.

ah good info, thanks for the heads up. I imagine B's are rated at speeds other than just 3200 or is it just 3200?
just thinking if I can cheap out with some rated at 2400 / 2667 or something I could still push them with some adjustments

Heard talk 3600 c15 but nothing lower then 3200. The grill in my rig are hynix they work as described. If yo plan on ocing the the max Samsung's.... if not you can get by with cheaper ram provided the board you choose has had a bios update with the new agesa code for improved comparability.

I will keep that in mind. i'm wondering if I should wait till black Friday/cyber monday

I'm a big fan of the ASUS Prime X370 Pro. Just bought another one for a new build for $130 and a 1800X for $400. Absolutely you must get Samsung B-dies for the memory if you want to get your published speeds out of the RAM and an easy OC on the Ryzen. B-dies are still selling for a premium though. But the elimination of memory OC headaches is worth the cost. Just select the XMP profile and boot. Couldn't be simpler.

Not sure why your link is posted for the A320M timeline. I was suggesting the ASUS Prime X370 Pro which has a proper 6 + 4 VRM design with proper heat sinks. Buildzoid covers that board review earlier in the video.

Last edited:
Buildzoid like's the Gigabyte AX370 gaming K7 for price and overclocking (Ram and bus ) . I have not use this board.

For light gaming, you definitely don't need a 1700x. The 1600 comes with a cooler as well; but we all know that's not going to overclock too much.

As well, there seems to be a pretty common limit of 4.1ghz across ryzen; you dont need crazy vrm's and super performance motherboards to hit 4.0-4.1 very easily (anecdotal and experiences read across many users). I'd personally probably just recommend a B350 motherbooard and save yourself some cash. Crossfired 270xs will limit your gaming performance these days, not a 1600 and a b350.

This combo is 259$ right now
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3633483

Will get you nearly identical performance to an x370 setup, and you could sell your 270x's and with the money saved grab a 1070 for an awesome gaming setup.

Back