• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5w and E4700 advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abcand123

So I've done a search and I can't seem to find much in the way of discussion on the E4700 chip. I've got this running on an Asus p5w board. This board has some preset overclocking profiles built into the BIOS. I tried using the 20% overclock profile and it seems stable. I tried the 30% OC profile and the board will post, but the OS crashes on boot. With the 30% preset the vCore reads 1.328. I'm running this rig as a Hackint0sh with OS X 10.5.1. The OS is rock solid at normal settings and at the 20% overclock, but the 30% causes it to kernel panic on boot. I've tried to go in and manually change settings but it still hangs. The default on the chip is 13x200=2.6ghz. I tried manually setting it to 260 for a 30% increase. I also set the RAM to DDR2 520. I pretty much followed the rest of the guide that's sticky'ed here in the Intel forum for the rest of it. I'd like to get this thing up as far as possible while keeping it air-cooled. I'm not sure if I don't have enough vCore or what, but I'm kinda sketched to up the voltage too far and burn **** out. OC'd to 3.12ghz (20%) the cores are stable at 40 C while stress testing, so it seems I should have some more room to improve. Any suggestions, things I'm missing?

Thanks!
--B

We can not help you with your 'hackintosh' issues, Hackintosh is a touchy subject an not to be discussed here at OCF.

I would reccomend against the overclock profiles and adjust things manually, there is a guide in this sub-section.

The General idea is, set ram 1:1 raise FSB in 15MHz increments, and keep doing it til you fail a boot then raise the CPU voltage and NB voltage until you reach a limit that you feel safe with.

Upto 1.5v on air, watch the temperatures.

We can not help you with your 'hackintosh' issues, Hackintosh is a touchy subject an not to be discussed here at OCF.

That's cool, I can do my own OS support without any problem. I'm just looking for input as to BIOS settings.

--B

Update: Can't get my CPU frequency over 240 and keep it stable. At 255 it boots, but hard freezes while stress testing. 1:1 ratio with the RAM. VCore is 1.3625, Memory voltage is on auto. My RAM is rated to 2.1, I believe. A few other settings I'm not sure about: FSB Termination Voltage, MCH chipset voltage and ICH chipset voltage. They're set to auto at the moment.

Back