• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Builder Opinions needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trobow

Registered
I am trying to build a new system over the next two weeks.

I need opinions from other techies about what they think. Just don't start spamming about nonthread stuff.

BOTTOMLINE: NO ATI, NO INTEL (unless I can be expressly convinced)

DFI LP DK 790FX-M2RS Motherboard
2 MSI 8800GT OC Videocards
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+
4Gb (4 x 1) Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800

Do you think this system will kill the one I currently have? Or should I just wait it out a few more months till the next AMD socket comes out?

No, the only way to kill your current system would be to go Intel or a newer Phenum chip.

Otherwise you could just add another 2gb mem and another 8800gt card to your current system and it would be close to the one you proposed.

First of all you can't do sli on a crossfire motherboard. 2nd for the difference in price I would go with a Phenom instead of that 6400+. I would also consider getting a 2x2GB kit instead of using up all your slots with only 4GB

you think 2 more gigs and another card would do it for some time?

IMO just get a 9750 if your not gonna overclock or 9850 if you are.

Also asus has a nice sb750 board that just come out its around 250 at the egg.

And if you want to do Nvidia on a 790FX board, just get a 9800GX2 vid card so you can do it without having to mess with hacked drivers and such. Otherwise SLI is out for the 790FX board.

First of all you can't do sli on a crossfire motherboard.

Actually you can, just not officialy supported.

Phenom 9850 or 9750 would be a better choice for a major upgrade, as far as graphics go it highly depends on what resolution your gaming at. If its over 1680x1050 then 2 graphics cards can be of use, if its at or lower your better off with 1 card like the 8800GT or GTS.

Change of plans...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
ASUS P5N-D Mobo
2x2Gb of OCZ Reaper

Owned, I guess I don't look at ASUS anymore. I trusted them for so long but all the new board just didn't fit my need. I looks a few weeks ago and never saw the NV. I think it's the numbers all running together. The laughter is about how fast the OP jumped the fence. Thinking his PM box must have been full.

trobow, most of the AMD questions just seem to quickly turn to a sale of a E6200 or E6600. I still stand with AMD for the technology they produce. Phenoms X4, X3 are a great challenge to OC but perform the best clock-clock with AMD. Brisbane X2's are great for the Low power factor and/or overclocking. Windsor X2's still hold performance crown at a given speed VS Brisbane but can be beaten on OCs in some cases.

the only time i could see saying to someone in the AMD section, asking about upgradeing,even saying they want AMD. is if i see "best bang for the money", im not tring to sway someone. i find it more tiring then anything to try to sway someone. while posting benchmarks do help. if the person finds more to their liking with AMD then intel, then why switch,when you can get what you want.

AC,
have you tried ocing the X3 yet, any better or worse then the X4? im taking a liking to AMD new 45watt cpus, the 4000's. for the price you cant touch them...

yea i see your point only about what 12hrs later he goes INTEL! :p couldnt help it on that one. though you have to admint alot of AMDer's have jumped ship and keep doing so.

its going to get real interesting when graphics is put on the cpu, thats about both companies. though from some reading it seems NV is getting into the cpu market, seems odd, wonder how that will pan out.

Last edited:
I don't have an X3 but from what reports I have seen we can expect to see about the same results.
And Yes, I've beer eying those 45watters, that's where the cool running SSF stuff is going but I
I'm mostly about crunching balls to the wall.

This is what I have finally concluded on getting....

Mobo: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1
CPU: Intl Q6600
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2x2Gb
Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500

Must be my Engrish (Post #13) that keeps losing people to the dark side. I must be typing faster than this kreyboad can keep up. :D

"I trusted them for so long but all the new board just didn't fit my need. I looks a few weeks ago and never saw the NV."
"I trusted them for so long but now all the new boards just don't fit my needs. I looked a few weeks ago ..." AC.

BLAH BLAH BLAH......CPU BOTTLENECK.......BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I am getting another 8800GT first before getting anything else.

Then in a few months I will upgrade the core.

Back