• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rate my new cooling purposal for summer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vengance_01

I have a Rocketfish with a True 120 and its just not cutting it. Summer is not quite here and temps are already bad. I don't want to see things in June and July. Southern California's summer is brutal. I am looking for something that can grow with my needs and thus this is what I have come up with. While it will cost a bit of money upfront it will pay off in the long run. So here we go.

Antec 1200
Swiftech H20-220 Compact Liquid Cooling Kit w/Apogee Drive Cool cpu only Forgot to mention you can find this kit for around 130$.
Thermalright HR-05/IFX Chipset Cooler(already have it)
Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 gpu cooler(already have it)

The antec 1200 has great airflow which is what I need. The swiftech will be for my cpu only. Either an 8400 or Q6600. It will be a simple mount in the back of the 1200 with plenty of room. In my opinion their is no need to cool the northbridge with water. The HR-05 will be plenty for a P35/X38 or a P45. the Accelero S1 will handle my 8800GTS 512mb card perfectly fine. With the 1200 airflow, should be no problem with a 140mm fan on the S1. I was originally looking at MM UFO type case plus a huge W/Cing setup, but it was going to cost much money and will be overkill for what I want. The setup above will be cheaper since I already have the S1 vga cooler and N/B cooler. What do you guys think.

If you have a stock Rocketfish, that may be a huge cause. The stock configuration is basically worthless when it comes to high-end computing. I'd suggest cutting holes in the case to greatly increase airflow.

but it really does not solve the intake problem. Plus I am not really looking to mod the case.
No problem, just wanted to know if you considered the option :)

I think you will really like that Swiftech kit + 1200, both are very nice :D

As always: PICS

Yea. the only thing I want to do is cut the stock window as its really ugly. Another good plus is the 1200's 120's in the front have a built in fan controller, and the two 120's and 200 have their own in the back. I am going for a very clean interior.

Yea. the only thing I want to do is cut the stock window as its really ugly. Another good plus is the 1200's 120's in the front have a built in fan controller, and the two 120's and 200 have their own in the back. I am going for a very clean interior.
Where are you going to put the radiator?

also thinking of having the rear 120's intake from the back and have the big 200mm fan pull the hot air out of the case.

I was also thinking of getting GIGABYTE 3D AURORA, the original. I like the look, its layout is pretty good, and again will support the Swiftech kit with its dual 120's in the back. With the side being vented, I could mount a side 140mm Yate-Loon on the side for the VGA area. any thoughts on this as well?

I was also thinking of getting GIGABYTE 3D AURORA, the original. I like the look, its layout is pretty good, and again will support the Swiftech kit with its dual 120's in the back. With the side being vented, I could mount a side 140mm Yate-Loon on the side for the VGA area. any thoughts on this as well?

If you're going water, the Rocketfish should have PLENTY of room to store it inside. Once you put the CPU under water, you've eliminated the biggest heat source in your computer. A little modding and you're good to go and saved yourself a nice chunk of change. Hell for the price of the 1200, you could put your GTS and your bridges under water as well.

Axis

Yea you are right. I really should not be lazy. The Rocketfish is a great case with some work. Get two Scythe Kaze fans, the 120x38mm fans for the front and rear. Swiftech triple rads are cheap and I could put the whole thing under water for about the same or even a bit less. Also If I were to paint the inside, I think it would look really nice. Damnit, damnit damnit.:)

If you just wanted a new setup, I can COMPLETELY understand. I just looked at what you're wanting and thought you could do it cheaper/better and be able to utilize the RF to it's fullest extent. Not spending $200 on the 1200 will afford you to buy better watercooling parts as well. Plus, you can make your own personal thread on your RocketFish under water, :attn: With as many people that have done it, you'll get some very good ideas.

Axis

Yea, but I need mod tools. Also need alot of other misc stuff which will add up.
I really think my best bet is the Gigabyte 3D Aurora and the Swiftech H20-220 Compact kit. In the end the costs are pretty close, but their is much less work evolved in getting the above setup up and running. Also if I must change motherboards, graphics cards, etc, the above setup will be much better as well. I am surely post pictures of the setup. Now all i need to do is track down a place that still stocks the original Gigabyte 3D Aurora. Newegg has the silver, but I would prefer black for my color scheme.

if you go with the quad I would strongly suggest holing out for a triple 120 radiator. That swiftech kit with the 120x2 is going to be cutting it close with the heat it will put out. Plus I am not to sure about the capability of the waterblock/pump combo. I just don't want to see you going to all this trouble and still not being able to handle the heat output. Now if you stay with the E8400 you should be fine. Just food for thought.

It all depends on if ur willing to mod. but sounds like u dont rele want to which is fair enough. The swiftech kit should do you very well in the 1200.

cant wait to see some pics.

Back