• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM frequency confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberfish

Hi,
I haven't bought a new computer for a while (since the beginning of DDR2 era), and am throughly confused by frequency markings.

Are DDR2 memory sticks only double rated like DDR?

That is to say, can I run DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 ram at 400 (1600) FSB? (within spec)

Thanks

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "double rated like ddr" but a PC2-6400 is actually running at 400mhz and X2. And X2 again if you're running dual channel. Dual channel is running 2 modules stimuinatiously to double the speed. All these "X2" are like quad-pumped intel CPUs, meaning the total effective bandwidth.

Thanks for the reply.

By "double rated" I mean "effective frequency". Nothing to do with dual channel. (The "double" in "double data rate (DDR)")

For example, DDR-400 actually runs at 200. (But since it can do twice as much per clock as SDR RAM, it is marketted as DDR-400, so computer illiterates won't think it's slower than, eg, SDR-300).

Yep. DDR800 = 400FSB. The "Double Data Rate" means you are transerring Data on the Peak (Hi) AND Trough (Low) of each clock cycle instead of just the Peak of the clock cycle. This effectively doubles the amount of work/bandwidth per clock cycle

I believe DDR3 follows suit here as well...

:cool:

Thanks for the corrections!

Upon further research, that is indeed the case (DDR2 is only doubled just like DDR).

So I guess I don't need anything higher than 800 unless I want to overclock above FSB 400 =).

What CPU are you using? If you're going to use a multi at 9, you will only get 3.6ghz. Btw, you know what overclocking is right?

What CPU are you using? If you're going to use a multi at 9, you will only get 3.6ghz.

Not necessarily true... My Patriot PC6400 runs easily at 900 MHz with 2.2v and 4-4-4-15 timings..I have had it at 1000 5-5-5-16, but I prefer the lower timings over higher clockspeed for that rig.

Btw, you know what overclocking is right?

yeah, do you...?;)

Just like 2.4 is stock for a Q6600, 800 is stock for PC6400....that in no way means thats all it will run at, thats just what it is spec'd for...Ram overclocks just like CPU's do..:)

Yeap, I know what overclocking is.

E6300 =) multiplier 7. On a tight budget here.

That would be 2.8GHz assuming the RAM (OCZ gold DDR2-800 2x1GB kit) cannot overclock at all (or I can just run it out of sync with FSB).

Not necessarily true... My Patriot PC6400 runs easily at 900 MHz with 2.2v and 4-4-4-15 timings..I have had it at 1000 5-5-5-16, but I prefer the lower timings over higher clockspeed for that rig.

yeah, do you...?;)

Just like 2.4 is stock for a Q6600, 800 is stock for PC6400....that in no way means thats all it will run at, thats just what it is spec'd for...Ram overclocks just like CPU's do..:)

He says he will not go above 400mhz.

Anyway, if you're on a budget and using an E6300, why buy such a good RAM? I use kingston value RAM ($29 for 1 1GB stick X2) and it hits like 960mhz, 5-5-5-15, memtest+ stable.

Frankly, I doubt you will see a noticable diff between 3-3-3-9 1T over 5-5-5-15 2T in terms of FPS. Benchmark is another story though.

Edit: There are other "sub timings", more advance ones to max the RAM out.

Frankly, I doubt you will see a noticable diff between 3-3-3-9 1T over 5-5-5-15 2T in terms of FPS. Benchmark is another story though.

meh. Im not sure but this may to imply to intel as a hole with the memory bandwidth thing and the T1 vers T2.

I know AMD still slower clock for clock how ever eats intel on the memory bandwidth.

Thanks but if it doesn't do that rated speed at default voltage it means the part is faulty because it says DDR-1066. I believe a replacement is valid. Thanks for the confirmation - wanted to get the PC8500 :D

DDR-1066? Where?

Yup, it MUST run at the rated speed. Don't ever, ever accept one that does not. Just RMA a thousand times if you have to.

Back