• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using 1600 ddr3 ram in 1333(overclock) motherboard (gigabyte ga g41m combo)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madcobra

Hi. I am trying to use 2x 4gb 1600 ram in my ga g41m combo motherboard. The computer works automatically with ddr2 800 ram or ddr3 1333 ram. But it doesnt work automatically with ddr 1600 ram. Do i need to change some bios settings? Can i use the 2x 4gb 1600 ram i have on this motherboard? (I dont mind going down to 1333 or even 1066 speed. The computer doesnt need to be very fast but it needs 8 gb ram).

cpu: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...ssor-e5800-2m-cache-3-20-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html

1333 ram: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Memory-PC3-10600U-1333MHz-M378B5673FH0-CH9/dp/B00DUGFEH0

1600 ram: https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/kvr16n11s8_4.pdf

motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G41M-Combo-rev-13/sp#sp

1.jpg
(these are the settings when i install the 1x 1333 ddr3 ram and open BIOS)

2.jpg
(these are the settings when i install the 1x 1333 ddr3 ram and open BIOS)

Last edited:
Please directly attach your pics to your posts instead of linking them to imgur. Creates an extra step for those trying to help you. Besides, they will eventually disappear on imgur and be unavailable.

The first thing to try would be to take the System memory multiplier off of Auto and manually change it to what it should be to run the 1600 mhz RAM at 1333 mhz. The CPU's integrated memory controller or the motherboard bios probably won't support 1600 mhz. Check the manual and make sure you are using the correct slots. Only two of the RAM slots will support DDR3. I assume you are trying to install 2x4 DDR3 modules.

Last edited:
1- It is impossible to use the ddr2 slots anyway because of the different types of slots. I am using the blue ddr3 slots. I tested the motherboard with ddr2 ram on ddr2 slots and i was able to boot to OS but i am not interested in using ddr2 ram or slots.

2- In the first post you can see the ram was working in 400 Mhz(800). I was able to increase CPU Host Frequency to 333 Mhz and able to get 666 Mhz(1333) Memory Frequency. I was able to boot operating system like that and i saw the ram actually working in 666 Mhz(1333) in CPU-Z.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3- When i save these settings and exit. Close the computer. Remove the 1333 ram and install the 1600 ram, it doesn't even post let alone boot to OS. Do you think it will work if i change to some CPU other than Intel Pentium E5800? (Got some spare CPUs i can try at company.) Is there a possibility to get them to work or should i just buy 2x 4gb 1333 ddr3 ram for this computer and just sell these 2x 1600 ddr3 ram?

4- I was also able to overclock the CPU to 4 Ghz. I tried going for more but the computer got unstable and i had to clear the CMOS :D . Maybe i can push it more if i play with other settings such as voltage(they are at auto now) but i dont care about overclocking CPU beyond 4 Ghz anyway. The performance gains i made were incredible though. (Tested with CPU-Z).

Last edited:
1- It is impossible to use the ddr2 slots anyway because of the different types of slots. I am using the blue ddr3 slots. I tested the motherboard with ddr2 ram on ddr2 slots and i was able to boot to OS but i am not interested in using ddr2 ram or slots.

2- In the first post you can see the ram was working in 400 Mhz(800). I was able to increase CPU Host Frequency to 333 Mhz and able to get 666 Mhz(1333) Memory Frequency. I was able to boot operating system like that and i saw the ram actually working in 666 Mhz(1333) in CPU-Z.

View attachment 206691

View attachment 206692

3- When i save these settings and exit. Close the computer. Remove the 1333 ram and install the 1600 ram, it doesn't even post let alone boot to OS. Do you think it will work if i change to some CPU other than Intel Pentium E5800? (Got some spare CPUs i can try at company.) Is there a possibility to get them to work or should i just buy 2x 4gb 1333 ddr3 ram for this computer and just sell these 2x 1600 ddr3 ram?

4- I was also able to overclock the CPU to 4 Ghz. I tried going for more but the computer got unstable and i had to clear the CMOS :D . Maybe i can push it more if i play with other settings such as voltage(they are at auto now) but i dont care about overclocking CPU beyond 4 Ghz anyway. The performance gains i made were incredible though. (Tested with CPU-Z).

I would do this. Also, look into an E8400 which has a 1333 mhz FSB. There are a lot of those on ebay for just a few bucks. You might also look into flashing the bios to the latest available as both the F2 and F3 bios updates say they improve memory compatibility in the description.

Last edited:
I found a computer in the company with an e8400 CPU. I couldnt get 1600 ram to work in that computer. It has ga-p43t-es3g motherboard which supports 1600 ram. It has 4x ddr3 slots. At the moment i have 4x 1333 2gb ddr3 ram on that computer but i want to use 2x 1600 4gb ram instead.

Lets forget about the computer in my first and second posts. Can we get these 1600 rams to work in this new computer with e8400 and ga-p43t-es3g? I dont mind if they work at 1333 speed. I tried fiddling with bios settings to get them to work but i couldnt succeed.

cpu: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...sor-e8400-6m-cache-3-00-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html

motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P43T-ES3G-rev-10#ov

Last edited:
What is the maxiumum amount of RAM per slot that will work on the two motherboards in question? What do the mfg.'s board specs say? Perhaps the second board would accept 2gbx4 1600 but not 4gbx2.

The other possibility is that the Kingston RAM is just incompatible and another brand would work. I've had issues with Kingston RAM over the years in that sense, particularly in OEM motherboards.

Last edited:
Try taking the 1600 RAM out of the ga-p43t-es3g and installing it in the first board.

I'm thinking either the Kingston RAM is incompatible or it is dead. Do you know for sure the Kingston was good to begin with?

g41m has 2 ddr3 slots, 2 ddr2 slots and it supports up to 8gb ram. So it has to support 4gb ddr3 sticks. ga-p4 has 4 ddr3 slots and it supports up to 16gb of ram so it has to support 4gb sticks.

I will try combining e8400 and g41m later. I will post the result.

Back