• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H (help picking) Value RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dudleycpa

Hello Fellow Forum members.

Gigabyte ga-z87x-ud4h motherboard needs some memory loving! Nothing fancy though DDR3-1600 8Gb.

We're trying to "balance" compatibility, performance, value, ect.

Was thinking of these three choices:

Team Group: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Currently $64 at Newegg before promo code. $53.99 total cost.

They certainly fit the criteria: fast, inexpensive, compatibility. Has good timings as well!

Second consideration (enthusiast pick):

Gskill:Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) currently $67.99 at Newegg.

Same timings that are listed on Team Group Ram. Don't know what I/C these are using. No promo code and not sure if these will be moving and groving back to "cheap" any time soon. Don't know if this correct - IIRC these where uber cheap somewhere(?)

Third choice:

Unknow "Idea" RAM: (AKA Al Einstein "Bad Hair" Day) - Alternate Spectrum "Project Monolith" (2001: A Space Odyssey):

Apologies in advance on this one. End User/Architect. Have been informed that we intend to use a SSD 120Gb as primary storage solution. Have also been informed that we are going to be using some kind of external hard drive as a "storage drive".

Would it make "sense" to go to 16Gb of ram if that is the case? We are throwing this one out there because at time we have seen 4x2 Gb kits for around $90ish. IF that is true would it make sense to go big on the RAM with what we assume will be a 120Gb SSD?

As always thank you for taking the time for reading and posting!:)

Get whatever 1600 CL9 1.5V kit you see for 2x4GB.

Just get something pretty low-profile, heatsinks on RAM are just for looks anyway.

Get whatever 1600 CL9 1.5V kit you see for 2x4GB.

Just get something pretty low-profile, heatsinks on RAM are just for looks anyway.

Thank you for your input!:thup:

Interesting thing about what you said is I don't know what "cooling solution" we are planing on using. Gigabyte Hyper 212 Evo would be the best guess at the moment.

Low profile Ram is an excellent idea!:D

Thanks Again!

212 EVO is a great cooler, it will do what you need unless you're pushing for max clocks.

No, they do same Ram in black as well and being LP it will fit under any Cooler etc! AJ. ;) :thup:

212 EVO is a great cooler, it will do what you need unless you're pushing for max clocks.

To be completely honest - WE don't know what O/C, how to O/C, or where to O/C.

We are hopeful that when we get the build together everything works. At this point in time I/We wouldn't recommend any overclocking. If there was a walkthrough with very clear and detailed instructions? Maybe.:shock:

Thanks Again!:thup:

To be completely honest - WE don't know what O/C, how to O/C, or where to O/C.

We are hopeful that when we get the build together everything works. At this point in time I/We wouldn't recommend any overclocking. If there was a walkthrough with very clear and detailed instructions? Maybe.:shock:

Thanks Again!:thup:

Then the 212 EVO will be perfect. It'll be vastly quieter and cooler than the stock heatsink/fan :thup:

...why did you spend the extra money for a pretty good overclocking board and an unlocked CPU if you're not going to overclock?

...why did you spend the extra money for a pretty good overclocking board and an unlocked CPU if you're not going to overclock?

We didn't. They did. They may or may not.....

We have requested additional information, that is why it is "Project Monolith". What it all means....I don't know.

I try to look at things from different perspective. Have attempted to look at things from many different ways and/or point(s) of view.

and unlike most (not here on the forums - forum members always understand) we are unusual, gifted, brilliant......

Only SAL9000 could understand that HAL9000 went "nuts". Personally it doesn't matter to me if you think that HAL9000 didn't go "bananas"......

Something happened----"something wonderful".:chair:

A more straightforward answer would be nice next time. ;)

My/our apologies kind sir, ma'am, it(?)

NEXT time we will keep things as "simple" as possible......easy as cake? No easy as PI.

Just had another Idea....(thanks to the classy and Reefa-Madness)

These look pretty "tempting", G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

Looks to be 63.75 after the Promo Code. Shouldn't be too expensive, should be compatible, not too much "overkill".

Thanks to everyone!:thup:

Last edited:
Back