• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant get GSkill 2400 or 1866 ram to work with a Ga-990FXA-UD5 R5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

happscrap

Hello all,
New guy here to this forum, Need some help as I'm frustrated and cant seem to get answers back from suppliers.
I decided to build another computer as my previous one wont hold up to my applications like photoshop, dreamweaver, battlefield :) ect.

Here is my build:

Enermax ELC-LMR240-BS Liqmax II 240 Liquid CPU Cooler 25mm Fan

AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7 GHz Socket AM3+ 220W FD9590FHHKWOF- Black Edition

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 R5

G.SKILL TridentX Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Model F3-2400C10Q-32GTX

SAPPHIRE Tri-X Radeon R9 390X DirectX 12 100381OC-2L 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5

3 SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive

CORSAIR RM1000i 1000W ATX12V PS

Windows 10 Pro

So it wont run the ram at all... It wont even stay stable at 1333mhz. Right now I dropped cpu voltage from 4.7 to 3.7 and its running at 1333mhz ... for the last 10 mins. lol... (as I'm writing this for the third time.) Ive tried running 2400 gskill and 1866 gskill... at every setting I can think of ( No real experience)

Any ideas on the settings in this bios that I could be missing? I went on gigabytes website to see latest driver and It says on their U.S site that the latest Bios version is F2. Well... in my bios its showing I have F3.
Could this be a bios beta version and crap? Or is there something on AUTO that I need to turn off? I was thinking about saving the current bios to my flash drive and then rolling back on the F2 just to see. Ive put in a support ticket days ago to gigabyte with no answer. (very frustrating)

Has anyone else run into this?

Option 2: Does anyone know if I should invest in a different motherboard as I thought this work work perfect... I'm no pc daily builder but I have always put my builds together. Here and there little glitches but nothing like I'm having with this.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you, Happ

I also meant to mention that I'm only running 2 sticks of the 1866mhz. They will only run up to 1333mhz. I've tried 4 sticks and four sticks of the 2400 and it will not boot into windows. Tried 2 sticks of the 2400 as well... nothing.

I will check right now... Thank you Mandrake..
Small but good update... I saved the F3 bios (that's not listed on gigabytes website) onto a flash drive. Then I installed the F2 bios.... set the timings to specs for the 1866 MHz and put the cpu to 5.0.... froze up. So then I dropped the cpu to 4.7 and bam... she booted into windows. Not sure yet how stable but so far I'm 10 mins. in.

Let me check that setting CPU NB VID .... I'm hoping that don't stand for CPU NOOB Virgin:)

LOL no it doesn't it's the voltage for the Cpu Northbridge when trying to run Ram 1866+ and also a large amount of ram 16-32gb it puts a lot of stress on the Cpu Imc (integrated memory controller). Some chips, my Fx 8350 for example needs a bump in Cpu Nb V to run 1866+ sticks.

You may also want to read through this thread, one of our resident Fx 9590 owners did a write up on them.

ok.. here are some specs.

CPU NB VID 2200 MHZ (Is this to low you think and what maybe should I bump it 2?)
Tried to run Battlefield to test stability and froze before even play started...
Dropped voltage to cpu voltage to 4.5 from 4.7 and same happened..
Id like to put the other to sticks of ram in as well... lucky thought I'm sure

I will read that thread now...

Sorry I wanted the actual voltage the Cpu Nb is set at I think it's called the Cpu NB Vid control on the Giga BIOS?!

The CPU northbridge is set at 2200MHZ

- - - Updated - - -

That article didn't make me smile at all... lol ...
I do have a liquid cooler on it.. its running around 43 c to 50 c
It hasn't froze up yet with just using the web... but cant play no games.. tried to load battlefield... froze before game played. ...

Ok... Great news...
So I did some more digging... we have made huge progress.
The main problem was the bios version being F3(no f3 listed on gigabytes site) so I flashed the bios back to F2 and loaded the the 2400 MHz ram with the proper timings of 10-12-12-31 with the max setting on the mb to 2133mhz. and 1.6v ... Set the cpu to 4.7 and then after reading your recommended thread I dove into a little cooling thoughts. First thing I did is plug the liquid cooler to direct power to the ps. The 2 fans that cool the rad I plugged spots on the mb. One in cpu fan and the other in a fan slot. This way I could reach max voltage and speed to each fan. Bumped them both up to 90% once the board hits 45c and the cpu hits 50c. then rebooted and has stayed pretty stable. I haven't run prime or any program to check its stability but I have been playing Battlefield4 at max specs... I have some other ideas as to adding some high power fans one to blow across video card as top plate you could fry a egg on it... so one blowing in over it and update the rear fan to something of value. I also have a side window I could screw a fan on to blow air on the ram some... That whole thread talked about it being a heat problem so that's what I'm going to try and attack. While playing battlefield4 it had 2 or 3 times where it would do a slight freeze.. one or 2 seconds and then keep going strong.. so I know the video card is getting hot. But running Windows and having tons of programs and video going... very stable.
On that note.. Any thoughts or ideas would be great... That F3 bios almost broke me.

Running all day playing battlefield. Highest cpu temp was 60c and highest system temp was 48c. Disable auto boost , C1 and C6 and am running at 2133 MHz with gskill 2400. Haven't tried to run processor over the stock value of 4.7 ..... Ordered 3 Noctua SSO2 Bearing Fan Retail Cooling NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM as the stock case fans are crap running at 700-900. Not one glitch or hangup today. I did try and add the other 2 - 8g sticks of gskill and it would not boot into windows. I have thought about putting back in the 1866 MHz and see if it would run all four sticks of that.

And the NB Core value is set to AUTO.... I found it:)

Glad you figured out the BIOS was causing the issue with the ram.
With the Fx 9590 the more airflow you have through the case the better so your idea of getting more fans is a good one. Um fortunately you have a heater for a Gpu as well so getting cooler air in and hot air out will help things along. One thing I will note and I do this as well. If you can mount a 80 mm fan blowing down on the Vrm section of the motherboard it will help keep the Vrm/Nb section cooler. I also have a fan mounted on the backside of my motherboard mounted with double sided tape drawing air off the backside of the socket. I'm sure you read this but these Fx 8/9 core chips just crank out the heat the more you can dissipate the better it will be.

As far as the ram goes, I'm glad it's working at 2133 there really will not be a difference in Fps playing at 2133 vs 2400. Now the addition of the other set causing issues is likely what I mentioned earlier. The Cpu Nb voltage needs a bump which doing some research it is the Nb core you mentioned. Does the board show in the BIOS show what it is set at when on auto next to where it says auto?

Nope.. Just says Auto. Where do you think I should set it at as a starting point?

And I do plan on cutting a place out of the case window to push air flow straight at the mb / nb ... I'm probably going to pick up 3 more fans... lol

You may be better off just getting a couple of zip ties and mount the fan right on the heatsink, up to you. The problem I'm having with the Nb Core voltage is I don't know where it's running now. I don't want to start telling you to add voltage to it without knowing where the motherboard is running it when on auto. Just for an example I did a lot of testing on my chip trying to get a particular set of sticks to run at 1866 stable and I needed 1.3875 Cpu Nb voltage to get them stable at that speed. That said my chip has a particularly weak Cpu IMC so it took me a lot of trial and error to get it correct. I do not believe your board has voltage read points, where you could use a digital multimeter to read the voltage, nor do I believe there is any software that will on that board. I'm going to look around to see if I can find out where it is set when on Auto.

Back