• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some Advice on nVidia 8600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zerofex

Registered
I have an eMachine model #w3115
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=W3115

I have two questions for you pr0z

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085

Question 1: Will my power supply be able to handle the 8600GT? It has a 300 watt PSU

Question 2: Is this the best card for my system?
I want to upgrade my system without bottlenecking anything on it. I'm open to suggestions, and if you have something other than the 8600 that you think I should go with, feel free to tell me what. It's an older machine, but with the right upgrades, I'm sure I can revive it :p

Thanks in advance!

1. yes
2. yes that card will work great for your system and shouldnt be bottle necked by the single core sempron, though that system isnt going to last to much longer, might be time to start saving for a new one. that card will work well for now, though i would look at the xfx variants and find one slightly better.

acually he might be wise to stay away from a card that needs a PCIe power connector.
i am sure its nothing to do with just XFX, although they did do something lame. i was dissappointed with my 8600gt. it was a 512 meg version and the lame thing they did was they REQUIRED a special pig tail to be used to supply 5 volts to the card and they forgot to send it to me. in all honesty WHY!?!?!? if you need 5V step the 12V down some!

aside from that i was sorely dissappointed with the performance so i am going to get rid of it after i am done stressing this new card. i liked my 7900gt alot better

the 8600's dont need a pci-e connector, id know im running 2 of them. i dont find them that bad, in sli and with a small overclock im getting pretty good results, even without sli i did pretty good in games.

Thanks for the quick and intelligent responses guys! I really appreciate it. I may go with the xfx (honestly its only about 10 dollars more) and with some of these 2gig G Skills, my system will be purring :D

hopefully hes going to play wow with me.
but that gpu is just to get him off of starcraft -_-

I'll play WoW when you buy me WoW time.

I'll be playin CounterStrike, Warcraft III, and StarCraft II (if possible)

he should be good for wow, of those games its probally the most graphicaly intense except for starcraft2

Back