• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp Problems with Q6600 Batch L737B270

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentfrost

Registered
***UPDATE***
I bought a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme to replace the Xigmatek, and it reduced the temps drastically. I'm running 3.6Ghz with 1.28 vcore, and the temps are idling in the low 30s and load temps in the high 40s. It is 24hrs small ftt prime stable. This chip is awesome! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: Q6600 VID: 1.2000v Batch # L737B270
Mobo: Abit IP35 Pro Bios 14
HS: Xigmatek HDT-S1283

Does the L737B batches run hotter than other batches? I had a L804A running at 3.4ghz with 1.5 vcore, and the idle temps were at around 30 for all 4 cores. Now I have a L737B running at 3.4ghz with a lower vcore of 1.26, but the temps are at 38, 33, 35, 40. I thought the lower the vcore lower the temps. I can't even run prime95 without the thermal protection siren going off. I remounted the heat sink twice already. If this is normal, then I'll just buy a water cooling kit. But if I this is a bad chip, I'm getting rid of it.

Last edited:
the lower the vcore/vid should mean lower temps i dont see why your temps are higher than your other chip are they both g0 stepping? and have you checked how flat the cpu is 35and 40 is a big diff maybe your going to need to lap it and why dont you try to take off the temp warning thing and see if its stable maybe you have a bad temp sensor just make sure the temps dont go over 70c lol if not bye bye quad

Both are G0 stepping. I thought about lapping it, but then I won't be able to resell it, if it is a bad chip. The reason why the siren is going off is because it reaches over 70c on load.

A 100 is too much for a bad chip don't ya think? I'll sell it like a used car salesman would do. They won't know it's a lemon until later. I'm just gonna lap it and water cool it. =)

I dont think those temps are that bad , with that cooler you have to put paste on the cooler and spread it around , put some on the CPU also when you go to mount

some of the L737Bs do run hotter. so no you dont have a bad chip. dont let someone try to rip you off saying your chip is only worth 100 or less.

I think it's just the luck of the draw. Those temps look decent to me. Maybe drop it down to 3.2 or 3.0 and see what it's like. THat's not too much slower after all. It's probably not just a gem. I'd pay $100 for such a chip any day, so it's definitely not worth lapping if you the IHS is already flat. Once lapped it'll be real hard to sell. Better to sell and find a better chip.

I'm sorry, but looking at the SS I don't see the problem :shrug: I think 60c under load should be your goal. Maybe another HS would net you lower temps. Do not sell that chip, It's a winner ;)

ill give you 100 for your bad chip thats as good as much as your going to get for a bad chip

^We have classifieds and PM's for that sort of thing.^

Edit - Lapped chips sell on here like hotcakes. People here are not deterred by such things. Everyone says that without realizing how common and even sometimes preferred it is, especially on forums like this.

Last edited:
CPU: Q6600 VID: 1.2000v Batch # L737B270
Mobo: Abit IP35 Pro Bios 14
HS: Xigmatek HDT-S1283

Does the L737B batches run hotter than other batches? I had a L804A running at 3.4ghz with 1.5 vcore, and the idle temps were at around 30 for all 4 cores. Now I have a L737B running at 3.4ghz with a lower vcore of 1.26, but the temps are at 38, 33, 35, 40. I thought the lower the vcore lower the temps. I can't even run prime95 without the thermal protection siren going off. I remounted the heat sink twice already. If this is normal, then I'll just buy a water cooling kit. But if I this is a bad chip, I'm getting rid of it.

It depends on what your Ambient temps are also, I have a L737B270 and for reference mine runs 31,32,31,27 Idle and 50,52,52,50 at load at your 3.42GHz on 1.232v. Ambient 20C.

So you might try to lower your VCore from 1.26v, that might help. At 1.26v you could achieve somewhere between 3.5-3.6GHz, so give that a try.

And if it shows promise getting up to your Speed Goal but it still runs hot then stick it under water, or put it up for auction, that is what I do with mine if I find them unsatisfactory for any reason.
I personally think your processor is OK.

Dude thats a gem chip regardless of the temps. See if you can get 3.6GHz P95 stable with 1.3 volts under load or less.

Thanks for the advices guys. I wasn't really going to sell it. I figured the temps would be much lower even if it's poorly mounted with a bad heatsink because of the low vcore. I clocked it to 3.6ghz with 1.37v, and the idle temps were at 44, 40, 42, 44. On load the vcore drops to 1.310, and the temps were at 65, 61, 61, 65. I had to use an external fan to blow into the case when it's on load. Siren, what kind of cooling are you using? I can't do 3.6ghz with 1.26v. Maybe it's because you have a better board. I guess I was being a little paranoid. I'm upgrading from a Athlon XP-M 2500+ and Abit NF7-S. I'll have it at 3.2ghz for now, until I get water cooling on it.

Idle

Load

I'd like to point out that from your screenshots, your RealTemp is incorrectly configured to a TJmax of 95C. Q6600's have a TJmax of 100C, this can be manually configured/adjusted by reading through RealTemp's config file.

Thanks OldSkool. :beer: But the dropped temps is only due to this. :eek:
0004601341880_500X500.jpg

Thanks for the tip Jayws.

3.6GHz with 1.31 under load, its a gem :D Should be able to do 4GHz P95 stable with the right cooling. Try lapping it perfectly flat to help with the temps.

Thanks for the advices guys. I wasn't really going to sell it. I figured the temps would be much lower even if it's poorly mounted with a bad heatsink because of the low vcore. I clocked it to 3.6ghz with 1.37v, and the idle temps were at 44, 40, 42, 44. On load the vcore drops to 1.310, and the temps were at 65, 61, 61, 65. I had to use an external fan to blow into the case when it's on load. Siren, what kind of cooling are you using? I can't do 3.6ghz with 1.26v. Maybe it's because you have a better board. I guess I was being a little paranoid. I'm upgrading from a Athlon XP-M 2500+ and Abit NF7-S. I'll have it at 3.2ghz for now, until I get water cooling on it.

Idle

Load

I think you can get it lower, I was using a Tuniq Tower on a DFI X48 which is same chipset as your Abit-IP35. You have a good board. I see you have a bit of VDroop, so if you can reduce that with a pencil mod or if you have a feature in your Bios to enable VDroop like the DFI Boards, that will help.

You should be able to get close to 1.300v for 3.6GHz.

If case airflow is only your problem, just stick some fans in there.

Glad you got the volts down for 3.6Ghz

Back