• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final review on my build, any comments are welcome.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninth

After almost a quarter of a year of planning, and more molding from this forum than I could ever count (as per why it's probably going to be called the ocf-box) I basically have my setup. Any comments are welcome. I'd probably be buying sometime around late june, due to when my paycheck comes.

Hardware

Case

Rocketfish (or the CM 812? I think is the number) Whatever I can get it for$

CPU

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 200$

Hard Drive

1 Seagate 500GB 32M Barracuda 7200.11 90$

Memory

G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2-1000 CAS5 F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 90$

Graphics

2x GeForce 8800 GTS, 768MB PCI Express 400$

Motherboard

DFI LP LT P35-T2R LGA 775 Intel 160$

PSU

Thermaltake 850Watt 200$

OS

Gentoo 64 bit

Sound card

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 70$

Water cooling

2x Swiftech MCW60 VGA cooler 88$
1x Swiftech MCP655 Pump 70$
pa120.3 135$`
1x Swiftech HydrX 3$
10x ClearFLEX 60 Tubing 1/2" ID / 3/4" OD 9$
3x YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan 15$
2x Swiftech MC8800 Kit 30$

Peripheries

LCD monitor 22”*3 600$
Ideazon Merc™ Stealth Illuminated Gaming Keyboard 75$

Drive bay accessories

CD drive 60$
All in one reader 10$
Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speaker 80$
Sunbeam Rheobus 13$

(the keyboard and mouse(not listed) I need advice on, especially)

Thanks for any help you can give.

I thought about that, but then I realized that I would potentially be upgrading GPU's CPU's and assorted other parts (as well as severe overvolting) and want to have a PSU that I buy at the front end that's stable enough to handle anything I throw at it.

That DFI board is not SLI, it is an Intel P35 board. Also that 8800 must be the 8800GTX since it is 768mb.

You need to start your research over on the MB and GPU. Most people will say go with an 8800GTS instead of the GTX.

The 750i or 780i would be a good choice for SLI.

Corsair is what is most popular around here now. Corsair 750W would be a good choice.

Two things, the first, I meant the 8800 GTS 512. I must have copypastad from the wrong document, that's a really stupid mistake on my part.

Second, I'm not going SLI. One card is going for the two outer monitors, the second is a devoted on my main.

I would go with 7/16 tubing. Your not losing any flow and the fit is much tighter around the barbs.

What optical are you getting for $60? A $30 samsung is a great drive.

The optical comes with a disk image maker thing. i've always wanted one, thought I might get one.

You should be able to run an 8800GTS for your gaming an anything like an 8600GT to run the other monitors. You don't need a 2nd 8800GT just for a 2nd monitor.

But if I like to watch movies while I game... I have a thing for being able to maintain a few graphic intensive applications at once, and just have a feeling that since I'm going to be running this thing for four years I'd like to get something more intensive than might be required now for the sake of longevity, and the price is quite right.

I would think that SLI would be the better choice then, especially since you are going to get 2x8800GTS. I don't know how running a game on one screen and a hi-def movie on the other would work though with SLI.

SLI isn't an option due to lack of a multi-monitor solution.

Back