• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 different temperature readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jlim288

i just installed a e8400 wolfdale 3.0. im using the stock fan, but replaced the stock thermal paste with arctic silver 5. im almost certain i applied it correctly so that shouldn't be the problem.

ive installed windows and then installed speedfan. i open it and it said core0 which is usually at around 44 C and core1 is always around 36 C idle. i know this is high so then i went into my bios and checked the temperature and it said 33 C. is speedfan incorrect? why would there be such a large difference in core temperatures? is 33 C still high for the e8400?

they hit about 52 C and 45 C during ~50% load according to speedfan

thanks

edit: also in speedfan it says vcore1: 1.18V vcore2: 1.92V

but in bios it says the core is 1.22500

newegg says the voltage should be 0.85V – 1.3625V, should i lower my voltage?

i don't know if its safe or not, but i touched the side of the heat sink to see if it would be very hot, but it didn't really seem much hotter than my hand but there is a motherboard heatsink right below that it pretty hot

Last edited:
33 is typical. It's also normal for multi-core chips to read differently, usually the differences at idle are greater than when loaded.

i just installed a e8400 wolfdale 3.0. im using the stock fan, but replaced the stock thermal paste with arctic silver 5. im almost certain i applied it correctly so that shouldn't be the problem.

ive installed windows and then installed speedfan. i open it and it said core0 which is usually at around 44 C and core1 is always around 36 C idle. i know this is high so then i went into my bios and checked the temperature and it said 33 C. is speedfan incorrect? why would there be such a large difference in core temperatures? is 33 C still high for the e8400?

they hit about 52 C and 45 C during ~50% load according to speedfan

thanks

edit: also in speedfan it says vcore1: 1.18V vcore2: 1.92V

but in bios it says the core is 1.22500

newegg says the voltage should be 0.85V – 1.3625V, should i lower my voltage?

i don't know if its safe or not, but i touched the side of the heat sink to see if it would be very hot, but it didn't really seem much hotter than my hand but there is a motherboard heatsink right below that it pretty hot

I don't use speed fan, I don't trust speed fan. Use coretemp or realtemp to monitor temps. As far as voltage goes, trust me, you are not giving that thing 1.92v. There is no way. What kind of mobo do you have?

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337

speedfan had 2 different voltages but i think i trust the bios more since it said 1.22500. ill do those programs and tell you what they say for temps

edit:
i ran real temp and the temperatures it gives at both 5-6 on average degrees cooler on each core. is ~39 C and ~32 C normal? i think im just used my old 3800 x2 that idled at like 26 C

i think this dynamic energy saver thing that came with the motherboard is changing my voltages and cpu mhz a lot

Last edited:
Use CPU-Z to see your actual vCore (next best thing besides DMM).

Also remember that you are looking at the temperature of the cores...the hottest part of the CPU. I'm not for sure, but I think AMD was reading the socket temp which can be significantly cooler.

Is the 'dynamic energy saver' that you refer to actually speedstep? If so (and I think it is) then it is a CPU feature that the mobo just happens to support. You can turn it off in the BIOS if you like, but all it does is reduce your CPU multi (which reduces the speed), and your vCore when the CPU is at idle. Run P95 or some stress test to keep it at full bore if you like.

Back