• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair 4GB (2*2GB) XMS2 DHX - My Findings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pascalbrown

I bought these on the basis of the review posted here (which you might want to read first);

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/memory/corsair_xms2_dhx_pc2-6400_4gb_kit/1

They arrived today and I've only had them a few hours, but I can say that I'm not keeping them. I was hoping for some results over 1000MHz which didn't seem unreasonable after reading the above review, but I've found that I can't get these sticks to boot at anything over 975MHz and that's whilst pushing 2.35v through them with a 120mm fan blowing directly on to them. I did this using timings of 5-5-5-15 which is pretty loose in my opinion. I suppose I could have gone further and given them more volts, but I'm not really trying to bench them, I'm trying to find a usable 24/7 level.

I guess all sticks aren't created equal, and perhaps I've not got an exceptional pair, but if you're looking for a high performance 4gb kit then I would suggest you look elsewhere. I'm going to return these and perhaps order some OCZ Flex II PC2-9200 4GB. I just need to decide if they are really worth the premium price. My current 2GB Kingston HyperX will go up to 1000MHz at 4-4-4-12 so perhaps I'll just forsake the extra ram for now...

I also want to add that more voltage doesn't seem to help with these sticks. I was able to get them stable at their max overclock with 2.15v. I tried more volts thinking that might be holding them back, but it wasn't the case.

Hope this helps someone.

Edit. I've just thought that perhaps my mobo is holding me back. This is possible, but I can draw results from direct comparison with the Kingston 2GB kit. If my Maximus Formula arrives I will retest over the weekend and post up any changes.

Last edited:
I bought these on the basis of the review posted here (which you might want to read first);

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/memory/corsair_xms2_dhx_pc2-6400_4gb_kit/1

They arrived today and I've only had them a few hours, but I can say that I'm not keeping them. I was hoping for some results over 1000MHz which didn't seem unreasonable after reading the above review, but I've found that I can't get these sticks to boot at anything over 975MHz and that's whilst pushing 2.35v through them with a 120mm fan blowing directly on to them. I did this using timings of 5-5-5-15 which is pretty loose in my opinion. I suppose I could have gone further and given them more volts, but I'm not really trying to bench them, I'm trying to find a usable 24/7 level.

I guess all sticks aren't created equal, and perhaps I've not got an exceptional pair, but if you're looking for a high performance 4gb kit then I would suggest you look elsewhere. I'm going to return these and perhaps order some OCZ Flex II PC2-9200 4GB. I just need to decide if they are really worth the premium price. My current 2GB Kingston HyperX will go up to 1000MHz at 4-4-4-12 so perhaps I'll just forsake the extra ram for now...

I also want to add that more voltage doesn't seem to help with these sticks. I was able to get them stable at their max overclock with 2.15v. I tried more volts thinking that might be holding them back, but it wasn't the case.

Hope this helps someone.

Edit. I've just thought that perhaps my mobo is holding me back. This is possible, but I can draw results from direct comparison with the Kingston 2GB kit. If my Maximus Formula arrives I will retest over the weekend and post up any changes.

Think about what you are saying. You bought some DDR2-800 and it won't run at 1000mhz. You are going to return it. That's a pretty disgusting thing to do, and thanks for raising the prices for the rest of us.

Am I missing something or could you just buy some DDR2 1000 stock sticks?

Think about what you are saying. You bought some DDR2-800 and it won't run at 1000mhz. You are going to return it. That's a pretty disgusting thing to do, and thanks for raising the prices for the rest of us.

There's no problem with him returning an item if he doesn't like it, especially if he bought them from newegg. Heck Best Buy even gives you a full 30 days to return something for a full refund if you don't like it. And his one return is not gonna raise the prices for the rest of us :screwy:

Yes, I am returning them because they don't live up the reviews I have read. I would suggest that my returning this product under the Distance selling regulations (in the UK might I add) will do nothing to affect the cost of your future purchases.

As I wrote at the end, my next purchase will probably be the OCZ PC2-9200 sticks that just came out.

I wrote this up because I know others are looking for a 4GB kit that will overclock well. I am only trying to help those guys/girls out.

There's no problem with him returning an item if he doesn't like it, especially if he bought them from newegg. Heck Best Buy even gives you a full 30 days to return something for a full refund if you don't like it. And his one return is not gonna raise the prices for the rest of us :screwy:

It certainly is. The product he bought met and surpassed what it was advertised to do. He's returning it because it wasn't 'better enough' than advertised. The cost of not being able to sell these as new is sure as heck going to be built into the manufacturer or retailers pricing. Think of what prices would be if everyone who OCs just returned items that didn't clock high enough.

I don't know if you know how the DSR's work, but every single item sold via the internet in the UK can be returned for ANY reason you like, within the time frame. If you think this isn't already costed in to the pricing in the market then you have seriously deficient knowledge of the economy. I say this as someone who has a degree in Economics.

This discussion is about these particular sticks, so how about we all act grown up enough to keep it to that.

I don't know if you know how the DSR's work, but every single item sold via the internet in the UK can be returned for ANY reason you like, within the time frame. If you think this isn't already costed in to the pricing in the market then you have seriously deficient knowledge of the economy. I say this as someone who has a degree in Economics.

This discussion is about these particular sticks, so how about we all act grown up enough to keep it to that.

That's probably why hardware costs so much more over there.

acutally there is a problem with what he's doing. He went over the Warrant limit of the chips. So you abused the chips and are planning on return them.

people never fail to amaze me

Let's stop bashing guys ;)

If the laws state that items can be returned for any reason in X days, then he has the right to do it. Morally is he right? That can't be decided by us.

Do I think it is right to return an item when it performs like it should? No, but that is no reason to accuse anyone else because of what I think.

I read that a while back, but I've only gotten 950Mhz out of them from 2.25V so far, 5-5-5-15 that is.

Maybe 2.3V is the key, gotta double check the temps on them though.

I don't think voltage is the key with these 4GB kits. Try changing some of your subtimings.

By the way, I'm immensely impressed that morality has now come into this. ;)

All ddr-800 sticks ive ever purchased have made 1000mhz or better. Its sad how such high quality corsair sticks cant do that.

Corsair's Website for the DHX sticks:
The result is enabled superior reliability, stability and performance capability.. It has been tested extensively in multiple DDR2 motherboards to ensure compatibility and performance at its rated speed.

performance CAPABILITY
ensure performance AT its rated speed.

Just because you don't get the results of everyone else does not mean the sticks are bad. Not all sticks are made the same. Technically, they delivered what the advertised.

:beer:

Someone asked about the ICs used on this kit: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131

FWIW, we make 2 kits of 2 x 2gb that are rated faster than 6400. We have a PC8500C5 and PC9136C5. All 3 are tested and rated at 2.1v which means that 2.3v voids the warranty. We can't be responsible for what independent reviewers print.

As far as OCing, the 128mb ICs of any flavor do not clock quite as well as the 64mb. But, we are getting some pretty good speeds from 2.1v.

Some 4GB kits do as well or better with lower voltage I've read, maybe that's worth a shot. But no 1000MHz 5-5-5 is a not so good result, I'd expect Cas4 DDR2-800 to scale up to DDR2-1000 at Cas5 without too much hassle.

Someone asked about the ICs used on this kit: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131

FWIW, we make 2 kits of 2 x 2gb that are rated faster than 6400. We have a PC8500C5 and PC9136C5. All 3 are tested and rated at 2.1v which means that 2.3v voids the warranty. We can't be responsible for what independent reviewers print.

As far as OCing, the 128mb ICs of any flavor do not clock quite as well as the 64mb. But, we are getting some pretty good speeds from 2.1v.

Have you got links to those kits before I blow my wedge on some ocz sticks?

Back