• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comcast rant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

I moved out of Jersey to Iowa. I had a 2 year contract with Comcast's Triple Play and was leaving a year short. So I called them to notify them of when I wanted my services disconnected, and asked about a disconnection fee. I was told that I would incur one, but it would be rebated upon return of equipment. Really? Ok cool right?

I leave, relative turns in the equipment. For 2 months I get no bills or letters from Comcast. Even though they had my new address. Here I think everything is fine right? Wrong.

This week, I got a bill for $256 from a collections agency for Comcast!!! WTF????

-Why is it $256? That seems kind of high for a disconnection fee.
-Why did Comcast make ZERO EFFORT to contact me about any bill? They obviously had my new address since the collections agency had mailed it directly to me.

The agency of course is useless. They say I can mail a dispute.

Comcast is also useless (as always.) They have no answer for why I got nothing and tell me I should have been given a receipt for the equipment. Relative who turned it in doesn't remember getting any kind of receipt.

So now I have to get in touch with some kind of managerial type of drone from that collection of morons to hear my case. If Comcast had made an effort to contact me about this bill, this could have been paid or resolved before going to collections.

Can they even do that without giving me fair notice? This is crap.

i would assume they would have either

a.) sent you a notice via your new address, or even old
or
B.) pull what they just did.

look into seeing if they mailed you a notice of some sort. they should have records of something like this being spit off.

i had a similar issue, but with a credit card, i had purchased a item and not received 3 bills (it was close to 3 months after i moved even after mail fowarding the week after i moved) being i almost forgot about this issue i had called and i incurred late fees, interest, etc... in almost excess of $150 if not more luckily the lady did send me the bills from previous months, also i had to pay the interest, however, i was able to submit a refund for that. the only thing i had to do was promise to pay my item off in the next day or two.

Definately start a paper trail. Do not deal with this just on the phone. They just tanked your credit score, make sure you get the entry removed. And never ever for any reason phone a collection agency. Nothing, and I repeat nothing, good can come from it.

From hearing about incidents like this, and reading the Consumerist, I record ALL correspondence with corporations. Especially one as unorganized and crappy as this one.

actually a lot of company's like that wont charge an early termination fee if you move outside their service area. I would call them back and explain that.

actually a lot of company's like that wont charge an early termination fee if you move outside their service area. I would call them back and explain that.

Exactly. I am pretty sure thats what they said originally. I'll call em up today.

Actually if you move out of an area servicable by that company I don't think they can charge you an ETF (I seem to remember seeing this in my cable paperwork over the years). If your life circumstances or whatever force you to move, and they don't sell cable where you move to, why should you be obligated to pay them? It's not like it's your fault they don't service the entire country. You might want to look into that, I could be completely wrong, but I thought I saw something to that effect in one of my previous cable tv agreements.

Their beef I think is with the equipment. Like I am suppose to have some kind of receipt. Shouldnt they just be able to check the MAC or SNs of the stuff? Idiots.

I just wish they had given me an opportunity to pay even if I am suppose to.

Back