• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey guys what's the max you've ever done

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

science man

Disabled
Hey guys what's the max you ever overclocked it up to? Aka how many GHz?

Also, Has anyone ever tried overclocking it up to 1THz or more? If more how much?

umm 1,00ghz? thats really far fetched... the highest clock i have seen posted anywhere was almost 6ghz on core 2. It was almost 7ghz for a "netburst" based cpu...

4.2ghz here on a Q6600

3.3 on my old Athlon X2 4200+
3.1 on my old Athlon 64 3000+ clawhammer
2.8 on my old sempron 2800+

Highest I've done? Probably something around 4 GHz and unstable thus far. Highest I know of thats been done? 7 GHz on a pentium 4.

I believe there was a prototype that did 400 or so Ghz, but what is important is what you get done during the clock cycles and not the speed of the clock.

Yeah, I run 1Thz, but only on my Netburst CPU, my Xeon in my sig can't OC quite that high....

There may have been some in the low 8Ghz range, but I think mostly they stopped around 7Ghz at the very top for the CPUs we use. Sure, there have been 30Ghz chips, and 300Ghz chips, etc... But they're not anything like we use for our computers. They're for other purposes. It just means the transistor is switching very fast, not that it's actually doing anything worthwhile.

Me personally.. The most serious overclocking I did was on my ancient 3.0C back in the day. IC7-Max3 with an SP94 heatsink. 250x15=3.75Ghz, fairly benchmark stable. I think it had a slight problem here and ther at that speed, but 3.6Ghz was fine, very hot room too(still living at home then). I was able to post at 4Ghz on it, which of course means nothing, but that is still worth mentioning since I was on air. I took an almost stock Radeon 9800 Pro and hit 22,000 3DMarks in 01 with that system, beat my friend with a 2.6Ghz A64 Venice at the time! I liked that system. Now, I sit at stock. :)

Oh, and the post above me for the 8Ghz "P D" isn't a Pentium-D, it's a P4 631. It's the 65nm P4, very high clocking. Only thing that could typically clock higher was the Celeron version.

Yeah, I run 1Thz, but only on my Netburst CPU, my Xeon in my sig can't OC quite that high....

There may have been some in the low 8Ghz range, but I think mostly they stopped around 7Ghz at the very top for the CPUs we use. Sure, there have been 30Ghz chips, and 300Ghz chips, etc... But they're not anything like we use for our computers. They're for other purposes. It just means the transistor is switching very fast, not that it's actually doing anything worthwhile.

Me personally.. The most serious overclocking I did was on my ancient 3.0C back in the day. IC7-Max3 with an SP94 heatsink. 250x15=3.75Ghz, fairly benchmark stable. I think it had a slight problem here and ther at that speed, but 3.6Ghz was fine, very hot room too(still living at home then). I was able to post at 4Ghz on it, which of course means nothing, but that is still worth mentioning since I was on air. I took an almost stock Radeon 9800 Pro and hit 22,000 3DMarks in 01 with that system, beat my friend with a 2.6Ghz A64 Venice at the time! I liked that system. Now, I sit at stock. :)

Oh, and the post above me for the 8Ghz "P D" isn't a Pentium-D, it's a P4 631. It's the 65nm P4, very high clocking. Only thing that could typically clock higher was the Celeron version.

Yeah sorry, knew that but was typing faster than I was thinking, lol

5.9ghz for me :)

Shooting for 7 in a few weeks :beer:

As far as 1000ghz, I believe you're thinking of a single transistor (diamond IIRC) swtiching. But I don't think it was that high.

*Edit: There's a thread from a year or two ago about it, can't seem to find it now though :-/

Last edited:
Back