• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing my M2N-SLI Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imthekeepe

Hey guys, I currently have an M2N-SLI Deluxe board, with 3GB of DDR2 800 RAM, and an AMD 64 X2 5200+ (currently runing at 2.67GHz) marked at 2.7GHz, and a 700W power supply. I have 2 questions before i go out any buy an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU fan.

1. What is the max i should be looking for when OCing my processor with this setup? I have read of ppl hitting 3.0GHz, is ~2.9GHz an aceptable speed to be looking for?
2. Is this board able to OC easly or relativly easly and what bios should i use for ease and stability purposes.

Hopefully i get some good answers so i can hit check out on the newegg screen lol.

I am currently working a clock with this board.. should be interesting to compare results.. as far how easily it overclocks.. pretty easy.. if u get no boot just hold delete (while booting) and it should come up.. mine has freezed in bios a couple times.. so "ocassionaly" u may nd to hop in there and change settings and save quick.

I'm working on mine with only 2gb ddrII Balistix 8500 though.. nice d9's :D And a 6000+..
On that not too.. if u want to run dual channel (better performance) only use two sticks.. so u will have 2 gb also.. or get a 4th stick..

And is that 5200 a Black Edition? that will help as u will have unlocked multi's

EDIT: IF urs has at least bios 1302 or higher DONT UPDATE unless it's not working... cause u cant go back.. it wont let u.. only upgrades.. they got downgrades locked.. :-/

IF it has 1302 keep it.. mine did and before i found out about the downgrade thing i lost my "easy" option to set Ram to 1066 (AM2+) speeds.. i can still do it.. just requires a lil math.. aparently the newest one i "upgraded" to doesnt have this setting :confused:

As far as max OC.. every board can be different.. to give u some "comparison though" as far as the board itself goes.. i've hit 1275HTT with 5x HTT multi and 255 FSB.. But i've also hit 330FSB with 3x HTT multi which gives a 990HT (a bit underclock but 330FSB is nice :D) ..
I'm not sure what chip u have will do.. is it a windsor or brisbane core? that will make a big difference too..
I'm still playing around with mine.. Currently Testing at 300FSB with 4x HTT for a HT of 1200 and 10x cpu multi for 3ghz (stock for my chip) but my ram is at 500mhz stable :D but having some heat issues from somthing on the board .. cant tell what.. Hardware Mon just gives me Temp 0 but the asus pcprobe has that same temp as cpu (not cores) which was hitt'n almost 70C :eek:

Last edited:
hey, thx, Im using Brisbane core, not BE :( but still 65W so heat shouldnt be an issue with the AC freezer 64 pro. my multiplier is at X4 but i can do X3, not X5. and ill check on my BIOS I think im at 1605 maybe, so that sux. any how ill keep u up 2 date.

hey, thx, Im using Brisbane core, not BE :( but still 65W so heat shouldnt be an issue with the AC freezer 64 pro. my multiplier is at X4 but i can do X3, not X5. and ill check on my BIOS I think im at 1605 maybe, so that sux. any how ill keep u up 2 date.

U have no 5x multi option in bios under advanced/chipset menu?
i have 2-5 pretty sure.. that's weird. :shrug:

and the newest bios i saw on asus was 1502.. 1605.. beta? this is weird indeed

ok here is a question. ok i am runnign DDR2 800 right now. should I go up to 1066? but I am currently running 2x1Gb GSkill DDR2 800 timing = 5-5-5-16 volt = 1.9 and 1GB Wintech DDR2 800 timing is 5-5-5-16 volt = 1.9 which i could just get another 1Gig stick to dual channel like you said. Will this work for the OCing i am looking to hit? i am thnking that i will have to get 1066 of crucial-corsair-patriot to hit it, honistly i am unsure, i have not played with my RAM that much to be honist and dont konw how much it effects AMD OCing, so any advice here would be much appreciated.

Also how much of a decrease in performance will i see if i drop 2 2gigs with dual channel instead of the 3 qgig stix?

Also yes i did find the 5x that u were talking about. It was right where u said it was. it is 2-5x as u said. also the width under that has up8 down 8 and up 16 down 16, i have no idea wtf that is. it is set at 16 now. also more good news, i recently had 2 RMA my board and my BIOS is currently 0702 according the ez flash program. Also should i turn off the AI overclocking stuff and change it to manual?

Last edited:
ON my old board and ram.. 690 "cheap, no oc mobo" with 667 ram.. i had 3 gigs.. dropped 1 g to dual channel (board would do that) and saw INCREASE in performance.. that's with like say.. having winamp open with huge playlists and alt-tab'n between two sessions of WoW and whatever else.. and all done in a blink :D all other games could tell no decrease in performance.. but this is not bench tested..

ON this board only running 2 x 1GB and i just cant see any need for more atm.. depends on what u do i guess. and what windows are u running? i'm still pro xp :D

But taking into acount my ram with the d9's i have a lil more overhead in that department than u.. I would still probably just stick with your 2 1gb gskills.. depending on what chips they are.. u could probably take them to 1066 speeds if not close..

Edit: i would also not recommend dual channeling a 4 set of unmatched pairs of ram.. like stick with 4 x "same thing"

ok, ill take out the wintech and go with the DDR2 800 GSKILL 6400
this is my ram

ok I put the 1302 BIOS in. im runnig stable ATM with stock cooler will my AC freezer 64 pro get here from newegg. CPU is at 53 c.

Edit: Ok i removed it showing 2048 RAM and im in the DRAM config in BIOS, and everything is set to auto, like i said im a noob when it comes to messin with RAM what should i look at?

the Gskill supports up to 2.0v so does that let me up the speed a bit more?

Last edited:
with maximum 2v "supposedly" id say they are definenatly not D9's but they should run 400mhz fine. bump them up to 2.0 and see what they do is all i can say on OC'n them
Sux for me i cant really go any higher till i get some better cooling..

Changed up from settings.. now 250fsb x12 cpu with 5xHTT ram sitt'n at 500mhz with auto timings atm.. not going to fine tune the timings till i get some more stuff ironed out.. stable but runs HOT.. at least something on the board does.. probably the "under cpu sensor for MB" cores only reach a maxium of 55C at these settings.. but if i up the multi for past 3Ghz.. who knows.. good thing i got most of my water stuff on the way already..

ok ill play, ill hop in AIM so shoot me a msg and we ill let u know whats goin on.

EDIT: ok u want me to drop my RAM from 800MHz (current) to 400MHz?

Last edited:
Looks like i've finally settled on the OC for everything way it is as of now.. just waiting to acquire my cpu block and rad and ill be good to go with water :cool:
current settings in sig

Back