• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIP2 vs PA120.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BLOOP!

I currently have the BIP2, but it's not up to the task anymore. I know the PA is better than what I have right now but is it worth it? Approximately how much of a difference are we looking at temps wise?

My chip in sig easily gets to around 80 :eek: I seen it peek at 82, it sure wasnt a sight and I'm not too crazy about it.

I wouldnt mind the price of the rad but thats pnly if the difference is justifiable (and I mean a difference of between maybe 7-10 preferably more if possible)

And also what about the Feser rads?

Thanks!

Ehhh, you shouldnt be seeing temps like that no matter what rad you use.

Something else is wrong I think.

What block are you cooling the CPU with? Ohh NM, I see it. What CPU did you have before? It's possible your block isn't the best for that hot quad.

I'd try at least one remount to see if it helps.

Conundrum is correct about that block not being optimal for quads. The Apogee GTX is better, but you shouldnt be seeing your current temps regardless with the non GTX...

I can't seem to find any charts that give CW values for the BIP pro rads since they are older. Therefore it is hard to be able to tell you how much better your performance is going to be. One thing I can tell you for sure is that once you get over about 70cfm, the performance gap between the Thermochills and the BIX rads drops to nil as the Thermochill is optimized for low airflow performance, while the BIX is optimized for higher airflow. If you are running those high speed panaflos anywhere near 12v, you would be better off going with a BIX. If you are running your fans more like in the 70cfm range or less, then the swiftech MCR rads are the best choice, and given that there is only less than a 10% difference between it and the Thermochill in performance but almost a triple difference in price.

It may be that you are simply pushing what a dual BIP rad can handle as it is optimized for lower airflow as well. That overclocked X6700 is putting out a lot of heat. Your best bet of course would to be to go with a triple rad if possible, but a dual BIX may be of some benefit to you. Exactly how much is hard to calculate without the proper numbers.

80c is however very high for watercooling even an overclocked quad.

Yeah, the original Apogee is not as good as it was now. I was just shocked when I saw my temps this high. This same loop has been passed from 4 different boards and 5 processors; an E6300 @ 3.4, E6750 @ 3.6, Q6600 G0 @ 3.6, Q9450 @ 3.6 and to this QX6700 @ 3.6 for now since I can't push it anymore. Everything else was ok but this last one. Never seen the others go past 55 honestly speaking even at voltages of near 1.6 volts and I didnt even need to run my panaflos at 12v. I'm only giving this QX 1.44v and it's way lower than what I used to run my past chips.

The loop is well maintained, I regularly add distilled water and a little coolant and of course the rad and fans are thoroughly cleaned monthly for almost 2 years now.

I tried remounting 3 times and the temps are pretty much the same, give or take 3 degrees depending on the time of the day. :confused:

Anyway, so my best bet would be to get an Apogee GTX + PA120.2? Should I bother changing my pump to an MCP655 as well?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the inputs guys! :)

Yeah, the original Apogee is not as good as it was now. I was just shocked when I saw my temps this high. This same loop has been passed from 4 different boards and 5 processors; an E6300 @ 3.4, E6750 @ 3.6, Q6600 G0 @ 3.6, Q9450 @ 3.6 and to this QX6700 @ 3.6 for now since I can't push it anymore. Everything else was ok but this last one. Never seen the others go past 55 honestly speaking even at voltages of near 1.6 volts and I didnt even need to run my panaflos at 12v. I'm only giving this QX 1.44v and it's way lower than what I used to run my past chips.

The loop is well maintained, I regularly add distilled water and a little coolant and of course the rad and fans are thoroughly cleaned monthly for almost 2 years now.

I tried remounting 3 times and the temps are pretty much the same, give or take 3 degrees depending on the time of the day. :confused:

Anyway, so my best bet would be to get an Apogee GTX + PA120.2? Should I bother changing my pump to an MCP655 as well?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the inputs guys! :)

Those may be better, but I still think you have a different problem. Even with the regular Apogee you shouldnt be getting 80c. Is the block hot to the touch?

Those may be better, but I still think you have a different problem. Even with the regular Apogee you shouldnt be getting 80c. Is the block hot to the touch?

Yeah, it's kinda hot. At first I thought my pump wasnt running. Do you think something went wrong what should I check? Everything seems to be in order :confused:

I would expect a small increase going from a dual to a quad, but not 25c increase. Are you sure the pump is operating at full speed?

Did you clean out the inside of the rad and the block recently?

Sounds to me like you are pushing more watts of heat into that radiator than it can dissipate, assuming the waterpump is putting out correctly and the waterblock is mounted right. I had much the same happen when running 2 overclocked mobile XP2600's on an A7M266D board. I was just dumping more heat into the loop than my Dtek pro rad could handle and temps were running in the 50+ C range when folding. When I swapped that system over to air cooling I saw a good 10 C drop in folding temps.

Wow, sorry to hear about that. It is definitely not your rad, unless you found a puddle of coolant under it. I almost sounds like your pump did stop working. If you changed nothing else, and assuming that this was an abrupt change from lower temps that you might have experienced b4, I don't see what else it could be. If you do fix the problem and want to improve your quad temps, try a Fusion V2 with a quad nozzle or for a few dollars less, the DD MC-TDX is what I use. It keeps my quad at ~30/50degC. @ 3.6GHz & RoomTemp. I also use the BIP2 btw.

I am going to be trying a Feser Rad soon. The prices have come down to be comparable with the PA120.2, which is supposedly it's closest competition. They sure look good. lol.

Last edited:
I thought so too. Coz its only a week ago when I had my Q9450 @ 3.6 under this loop and the temps were golden, and another week before that when I had my Q6600 G0 also at 3.6 and the temps were decent about 55 tops at 1.55v. So yeah 3 weeks 3 different processors. Everything else is the same.

So I really think this processor is just too hot for this loop. Sure is an Extreme :p

The pump runs normal around 3200-3500 RPM if the BIOS is correct. and it just vibrates and sound like it used to the first day I had it. The block is mounted correctly.

BTW, the chip is lapped too, shiny and flat.

If I do upgrade my loop (after 2 years, it served me well) would the Apogee GTX block be compatible with the new platform (Neha)? If its not I'd just stick with this one and live with it. Coz I'm just not a big fun of redoing loops often :)

@ baditude_df: Nice temps and OC. I sure am missing my G0. I can't believe these temps are limiting me. This Maximus II should be able to push this higher. :(

Perhaps the IHS on that proc is not contacting properly. There is no real difference between a Q6600 and QX6700 other than the multiplier, afaik. So, the only other thing it may be, assuming your WC equipment is working properly, is the IHS is not contacting the cores properly, or its not a flat IHS..

Yes, I would agree with CGR on the contact problem. If you have been switching CPU's and everything else is working, then it must be a contact problem. Those load temps are just too high, and remind me of when I tried mounting my MC-TDX 180 deg and found out I was overlapping a capacitor by about .5mm. The idle temps were ~5-10 degC. high ~35-40Deg, but when loaded shot up to 70-80degC. Giving a delta temp of ~40deg. lol!!!!!
Usually the xtreme chips are "extremely" flat as I've read. Not sure if it's a warped IHS, but it certainly could be. Doesn't really explain 80Deg. Load temps @3.6GHz though.

I'll try swapping with a different CPU tonight, I dont have my other quads anymore. I'll just check it with my old E6300 if that one is in order I'll double check the flatness of this one.

It is lapped already, but I'd still check. BTW, I googled and found out that these QX6700 B3's are known to run hot. Maybe thats why? Or is it still too hot for a watercooled QX6700?

Not sure, but as I recall from my reading in recent years, the b3's wouldn't run that much hotter.

Can you measure you water temps? Thermometer in the reservoir or T-line. Have you broken open your loop lately? Check blocks for buildup and flush radiator with warm, soapy water.

It's strange thought that you had good temps a couple of weeks ago.

Back