• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reg fix software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albyno

has anyone got any expierence with error killer or adware alert? do they actualy work? do any reg fix programs really do anything?

this area im a TOTAL noob in all advice appreciated.

Honestly, I don't like programs going through my registry and deleting keys that it "thinks" I don't need or are not valid anymore. Is there a reason you need to clean it?

Before anyone asks, yes I go through my own registry and delete keys that I *know* I don't need.

my boss has it on all our work comps and his subscription is coming up. he wants to know if its worth it or if it actualy helps

I've yet to notice a difference in speed or stability if I do or don't run it. I also know what I install and don't install anything that like to infect the registry (*cough* symantec *cough*).

It really comes down to what the computers are used for. My guess is that you will never notice a difference or problem.

I would use ccleaner that has a built in registry cleaner that is no where near as invasive as most of your registry utilities. I used Registry Mechanic for a couple years and realized that the performance enhancements from registry optimization never outweighed the possibilities of having problems with wrong entries being removed.

I would definitely give ccleaner a try and best of all it's free. :beer:

I have never been a big fan of registry fix software. However if you are going to use one I would suggest first that you backup up your entire registry. Then I would just use ccleaners reg cleaner option.

It used to be that I'd recommend registry cleaning programs like CCleaner, RegScrub, RegClean, etc. But anymore I just don't trust any third-party registry cleaning software enough to warrant recommending or even using them myself. Since the registry contains all of the OS's "knowledge" of the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the device drivers, and the computer's configuration... a misstep in the registry can have severe consequences.

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Additionally, the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

Another thing also... no two registry cleaning programs are going to find the exact same entries after performing a scan. So on that basis, which one do you trust to clean your registry?

You know what I have found to be the best registry cleaner software?

Frequent format/reinstalls. I format/reinstall my Windows VISTA system three to four times a year.

Back