• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative Wireless N solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jokers_greg

looking to pick up an adapter for my computer. I'd prefer not to have an internal PCI card. it would restrict airflow and create heat. And I don't want to be restricted by USB transfer rates. Is there any other solution? perhaps Firewire or Sata?

Any options involving a wireless N adapter that connect via Ethernet cable? I have on-board gigabit LAN.

Access point is your only option as there's nothing out there I'm aware of that will interface with a network via esata or firewire.

Sounds good guys! I'll look into it. Thanks for you help

any recommendations? Price is a huge priority, and I would really like to keep my network all Dlink, but Range is most important. I get one bar from my basement, since my router is two floors above. Unfortunately I cannot move the router, so it is not an option.

My question is: Will my acccess point take advantage of the wireless N range/transfer speed, while the rest of my computers use wireless G?

I'm using a D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Router. My basement computer is using a Dlink DWL-G510 adapter. I also have two laptops on the network using their built-in wireless G network cards.

Last edited:
I believe you could set it up as a doubler - so it like extends range. Then you could just plug your PC into the lan port and be good.

That might not be a supported function on many of the available routers. But, if you buy a DD-WRT compatible router, you would be able to use the repeater function after loading DD-WRT.

OP, look into wireless bridges, such as the D-Link DAP-1522 and SMC SMCWEB-N.

Don't just assume that consumer routers and access points will have this functionality, because most won't.

Hence DD-WRT, Madwand. A WRT-160N for $60 doesn't cost much more than a bridge (which are all hideously overpriced), and once you put DD-WRT on it, can do more than any of those bridges ever could.

These are trade-offs. Off-the-shelf non-routers cost a bit more because not many people buy them / know about them, but they also work pretty much out-of-the box as desired with vendor support and warranty. This is all that most users need.

DD-WRT has a much richer feature set, but when you don't need it, it's just needless potential complexity. You also have to be very careful about the model and revision you try to install it in, and in the details of the installation and configuration. There are more than a few users who have failed to do this properly. The odds of failing with an off-the-shelf solution are much lower.

The DAP-1522 is also dual-band, has a built-in gigabit switch, and isn't too expensive. However, getting it, especially in Canada, could be a problem at this time.

Well, AFAIK, Jokers_Greg isn't some random n00b, so I think he can figure DD-WRT out; that's why it was suggested :)

OP, you also have some other options -- first, USB adapters. What's your concern with "USB transfer rates"? USB 2.0 can go well above wireless speeds, and even higher than 100 Mb/s wired. The quality of the device, its antenna and ability to locate it for best reception is another matter...

There are also so-called wireless "gaming adapters" to consider. These are essentially the same as client mode wireless bridges, but typically support only one connected device.

Finally, modern powerline networking might be the best option, being closest to wired networking -- some people report really good results with them, and you seem to have a challenging wireless setup.

so a PCI network card would decrease air flow and add heat so much you don't want one? is this just assumptions or proof that network cards now pump out allot of heat?

I forgot... PCI network cards actually COOL all surrounding cards. I never said it created a ton of heat, I just said it restricts airflow, and like anything that runs on electricity, it creates heat.

OP, you also have some other options -- first, USB adapters. What's your concern with "USB transfer rates"? USB 2.0 can go well above wireless speeds, and even higher than 100 Mb/s wired. The quality of the device, its antenna and ability to locate it for best reception is another matter...

There are also so-called wireless "gaming adapters" to consider. These are essentially the same as client mode wireless bridges, but typically support only one connected device.

Finally, modern powerline networking might be the best option, being closest to wired networking -- some people report really good results with them, and you seem to have a challenging wireless setup.

well as peteyg stated, they're overpriced. Those gaming adapters are for people with PS3's and Xboxes, and don't mind paying $80. It's ok, I think I solved my problem :). Thanks for all the help guys

Back