• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really slow boot-time media check with Asus DVD-Rom (SATA) and Samsung DVD-R (SATA)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FliGi7

Really slow boot-time media check with Asus DVD-Rom (SATA) and Samsung DVD-R (SATA)

When I'm booting up, it takes about 5 seconds to check for media in the DVD-Rom and about 15 to check for media in the DVD-R before continuing its boot Windows. Does anyone know why this would be happening? I have no clue why it would take even close to that long to figure out that there are no cd's in either of them and to continue booting.

I have an Asus P5-E mobo with these drives connected via SATAII cables to SATAII ports on the board. Could the problem be that the drives are SATA and it's connected to SATAII ports on the mobo?

the sata drive would be perfectly fine on a sata 2 capable port (backwards compatible). it sounds like you have your cdroms set to boot from and you have media in the drive so its checking the media before it loads to the os? just go into bios >advanced> and make your hdd the first boot device.

That's what I would have guessed too if I were troubleshooting this problem, but there is no media in there at all, and I'd like to keep my cd-rom's bootable before the hard drive so I don't have to change the bios back and forth when I'd actually like to boot from some media.

That's what I would have guessed too if I were troubleshooting this problem, but there is no media in there at all, and I'd like to keep my cd-rom's bootable before the hard drive so I don't have to change the bios back and forth when I'd actually like to boot from some media.

While it's understandable not to want to have to switch it, you have to ask yourself how often do you actually boot off the CD? Because what's happening makes perfect sense, even if there is no mdeia in the drive the drive still has to spend time checking to see if there is media or not. Maybe they could do it faster but that's just the way it is. Best thing is to change your boot order as already suggested, I'd wager that you don't actually boot off CD that often so changing it every once in a while isn't that big of a deal.

While it's understandable not to want to have to switch it, you have to ask yourself how often do you actually boot off the CD? Because what's happening makes perfect sense, even if there is no mdeia in the drive the drive still has to spend time checking to see if there is media or not. Maybe they could do it faster but that's just the way it is. Best thing is to change your boot order as already suggested, I'd wager that you don't actually boot off CD that often so changing it every once in a while isn't that big of a deal.

No, I understand that and I know the routine it has to go through in order to check. My question isn't why or how it does it, but why in particular these drives are taking so long with my setup. I have always had the cd-rom boot before the hard drive and it has never taken this long. I'm trying to figure out what the problem or issue is with my particular setup and switching my bios settings isn't going to figure that out.

Well, what changed between your previous build and the current one? Mobo or drives only? Both? Did you used to have only one drive? Are they set up as the same type of drive (IDE or AHCI/RAID) as before?

I built a completely new system - mobo, cpu, memory, drives, peripherals, everything. I set my SATA connections up as RAID for my hard drives, so maybe the bios is thinking the cd-roms are also RAID? I'm not sure how I could separate those out, if so.

some boards have a raid section where you enable/disable each port for raid or not. just depends. on my setup i prefer just to hit the boot hot key (esc, or f8/f12, something like that) to switch between my boot drives.

I don't think I have the option to separate the ports out, but maybe. I'll look into it.

Back