• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new system build first revision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RyanoMac29

Registered
New system

Ok guy this is my first run on a new sytem build... I left out the case and PSU because I plan on reusing my curent ones

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811208005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103932

Do you guys see any changes I could make.. I would really like to get this in at under $700 bucks without sacrificing performance... also my systems tend to run hot cause of a small bedroom that it will be used in so should I add a vga cooler or anything else to help in that regard

also I know alot of ppl here really like the 4850 but would this card actually be a little better bang for the buck
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329
and If so which Mobo would you guys suggest for posible future SLI support

Thanks in advance guys

Welcome to the forums

The only place I really see to shave off any significant money if the motherboard. You could go with a Gigabyte EP43 and save $55. Really the easiest way to make up the difference is to sell you old stuff. That is what I and many others on here do. When have 100 quality posts you can access the classifieds here. In the meantime you have craigslist and ebay as well as you local newspapers.

It is a very nice looking system, nothing I would really change. You could use a beefier cooler for that quad but I know budget is an issue. If you can deal with rebates this is a much better cooler for the same money.

Hi RyanoMac29 :welcome: to the forum (even though I'm pretty new myself)!

As you can see in my sig, I've got the EXACT same video card as the 8800 you're looking at. While I've never used the 4850, I can tell you that 8800 is GREAT. I absolutely love it.

Also, you have a LOT of RAM in that list. I doubt that you're planning on buying all of it, but just a reminder, 32-bit OS can only support up to ~3.5GB of RAM.

Well I changed my mind again, and I think this it the final list
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12394547
I still plan on reusing my PSU and case and also sticking with XP 64 pro for right now..... I could shave some cost on the mobo but after rebate its $219 which isnt too bad.... so is there anything else you guys would recomend or change?
If I did want to cut some of the cost on the Mobo which one would you guys suggest... like maybe one in the $150 range. The q6600 has a 1066FSB so it would be wise to also go with a 1066 mobo and RAM right?

Go with a 9800GTX+, its an improved version for the same money. You have both 1066 and 1000 memory, I would go with the 1000.

On a different note if you are willing to spend $200 on a video card I would switch to and intel chipset with a 4850. For what you are spending on that motherboard you could get a X38 or save some money and get a P45. Both will OC better that the Nvidia.

yeah the wishlist must be messed up ... the only ram i have in there is the gskill 1066

Do you know of a good Mobo with support for DDR2 1000 or 1066 RAM... If i were to go with the same Mobo as you have would it only support DDR2 800, or even if it supports 1066 would I only be getting partial benefits from the faster RAM

Last edited:
Even if the motherboard states that it will only support DDR2 800 the higher speeds will work fine, thats OCing. Don't worry if you haven't done it before, we are here to help.

Now I would go with the 1000 G.Skills at $85. They will run at 1066 fine and save you some money to boot.

I don't want to confuse to much but you are not going to be running at that high of a speed anyways. 800Mhz memory would do you fine but that those G.Skills are so cheap its to the point of why not.

No flaming on that one(not that we do that anyways), its looking good. I would change two things. One switch the video card for a the GTX+ I linked earlier. It is a bit faster and uses a bit less power, for $10(if you get the rebate on the other) it seems like a bargain to me. Second I would get am OEM CPU. You are using an aftermarket heatsink so there's no point in paying for a stock one, and it will balance out the difference on the video card. The warranty is moot as the second you OC it is voided anyways.

4850s selling for as low as $150, normaly around $170, paired with a cheaper yet better P43/P45 board is a much better solution imo.

4850s selling for as low as $150, normaly around $170, paired with a cheaper yet better P43/P45 board is a much better solution imo.

Ive heard that from a few people... Do the 4850 have as good a performance in a single card setup? I might possible go crossfire/SLI but not right now. If I did go with the 4850 would I see the same performance as with the 9800 GTX?

Ive heard that from a few people... Do the 4850 have as good a performance in a single card setup? I might possible go crossfire/SLI but not right now. If I did go with the 4850 would I see the same performance as with the 9800 GTX?

I tried to get you to do that 10 posts ago lol. The 4850 will outperform the GTX, hence me tying to get you in that direction but you have been pretty gung ho for SLI. To boot your quad will OC better on an Intel chipset.

I would suggest an Asus P5Q Pro and a 4850 of your choice. I like HIS and Diamond myself. VisionTek isn't bad, stay away from Sapphire. Bases on a 4850 at $165AR you are going to save $85 and get better performance.

Well I made that changes you suggested and I was able to get under $700 bucks VERY NICE!

Back