• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest way to hook up xbox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CheekyChava

I have an xbox 360 in my room (and a pc that i will at some point want on the net)

We have wireless internet.

What are the cheapest options for getting my xbox LIVE?

£50 for a Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter seems dear.

Cheers,
Paul

A cheap wireless access point would probably do it. My friend has this small cheap one (I can't remember the name of it) that provides one RJ45 port and then connects to the rest of the LAN via wireless, seems to work pretty flawlessly for connecting to xblive.

I have an xbox 360 in my room (and a pc that i will at some point want on the net)

We have wireless internet.

What are the cheapest options for getting my xbox LIVE?

£50 for a Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter seems dear.

Cheers,
Paul

The cheapest way to connect your Xbox 360 to Xbox Live would be to run a Cat-5e cable from your Xbox 360 to your router. After that, buy a wireless adapter for your Xbox 360.

STOP!!!!

The cheapest way would be to buy a wireless PCI card for you PC and connect that to your home wireless network, then run a crossover Cat5e cable from 360 to PC and tick the box under network connections to allow others to connect to the internet through this connection. cost ~$20 and no drilling holes in walls or running long cables..

Also look into xboxconnect. its like xbox live but free, making your 360 think you are connected via LAN.

STOP!!!!

The cheapest way would be to buy a wireless PCI card for you PC and connect that to your home wireless network, then run a crossover Cat5e cable from 360 to PC and tick the box under network connections to allow others to connect to the internet through this connection. cost ~$20 and no drilling holes in walls or running long cables..

Also look into xboxconnect. its like xbox live but free, making your 360 think you are connected via LAN.

although that plan is possible it does raise questions on lag/performance issues as more interconnects = higher ping times.

I vote for the Cat5 cable... also you could look into a linksys WGA54G... I had one for years and it worked flawlessly.

The cheapest way period is to buy an extremely long ethernet cable. You just can't get it from a place that marks it up 1000% (like best buy). I bought 1000ft of cat5 for $75, so I sell cables to my friends for 8 cents a foot plus another dollar for the plastic heads. $8 would get you a 100ft cable. It might not be pretty having a cable running around your place, but its the cheapest way.

Back