• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

arg what now.. raid not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoodleGTS

So it seems that the latest trend is for my computer components to blow up one by one. The latest part of that trend seems to be my Raid array... so:

So i load up my computer as normal, and everything is fine. WHen I try to play music, it plays. When I try to open firefox, my computer stutters and then I get a message at the bottom right saying that there was a read failure from the Raid, Sata port 1.1.

I figure maybe I kicked something loose, since my compy is on the floor outside is case. I checked the connections and everything is fine. SO i reboot, same thing.

I switched the hard drives to the other sata ports... now when I load up, I ge that Sata port 1.0 failed. SO I think that means it's the same hard drive that's giving me issues. My raid array reads healthy in BIOS, and everything works fine until I try to run firefox..

What gives?

Its odd that it only happens when you open Firefox. Are you able to copy files without issue? If so I would backup everything just in case.

Once everything is backed up, try running some drive diagnostics to see if a drive is the problem.

Its odd that it only happens when you open Firefox. Are you able to copy files without issue? If so I would backup everything just in case.

Once everything is backed up, try running some drive diagnostics to see if a drive is the problem.

I'm able to copy files etc.. I just backed up all of my stuff onto a USB hard drive just in case.. THe error seems to be related to the hard drive, since when i switch the sata cables, it tells me the other sata port is causing the error..

Could this just mean my disk went bad?
If so I'm totally ridding myself of this crappy nvidia raid and getting 1 velociraptor... raid for the loose...

It certainly sounds like the drive, especially since the error moved ports.

One thing you could try though is replacing the cable. That could cause this issue as well.

Ok, will try a new cable.

If the new cable fails, do you think 1 velociraptor would be faster than 2 7,200rpm drives on nvidia raid 0? I think i've heard that most people have said yes, but I want to double check with people who might actually know what they're talking about :D.

Back