• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Distressed Hose

Registered
I'm putting together a new computer with a Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 ghz processor, new ATI 4870 and 4 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, and a 600W cooler master power supply. My main problem is I get windows in, boot from the CD, extract all the files etc.and then I go to install. I just get a little box that says Windows XP and it says Please wait... After about 3-4 minutes my computer just shuts off. Same thing happened when I tried installing Vista.

Not knowing much about what could be the problem I decided to ask here for some help...

I have several fans running, a dual fan underneath the graphics card and another blowing on the CPU.

The thing is it stays on for like 25 minutes while it extracts all the windows files, but then when it tries to start installing it shuts off.

sounds like a psu or some disk are not working properly.
25min loading files is just to long.
might be your motherboard bios also?
and when asking, post hardware specs ;)

:welcome: to the forums.
Please post your exact hardware so we can help you more efficiently.

Sounds like a disk problem to me too.
It's happened before.

Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 GHZ
ATI 4870 512 mb
Gigabyte S Series GA EP35 DS3L
Samsung HD50 500GB SATA
Corsair 2x2GB DDR2 800
Cooler Master 600W

Last edited:
So... solution to a disc problem would just be to try and get a different windows disc from somebody?

I'm willing to try everything. I've spent quite a bit of money putting this together, so I'd like to work soon :p Frys and bestbuy both charge around 200 to get this worked on.

I've noticed my CPU is running around 85 celsius at time of installation. Somebody told me this is somewhat normal because before an OS in installed the computer almost relies entirely on the CPU, but that just doesn't sound normal to me.

:welcome: to the forums.
Please post your exact hardware so we can help you more efficiently.

Sounds like a disk problem to me too.
It's happened before.

Highly unlikely as his XP AND Vista disk do the same thing.

I've noticed my CPU is running around 85 celsius at time of installation. Somebody told me this is somewhat normal because before an OS in installed the computer almost relies entirely on the CPU, but that just doesn't sound normal to me.

85C is DEFINITELY not even close to normal. I see at least two possible problems. One is obviously your CPU overheating. Did you put any thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink? Did you use the stock intel HS, it should have paste already on it. Is the fan on the heatsink spinning? Second is RAM. Try again with only 1 stick of RAM in. If you have any 1gig sticks, try a single stick of that as well. Running 2x2gig will use a little more NB and possibly a tad more Vdimm.

Axis

Highly unlikely as his XP AND Vista disk do the same thing.

85C is DEFINITELY not even close to normal. I see at least two possible problems. One is obviously your CPU overheating. Did you put any thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink? Did you use the stock intel HS, it should have paste already on it. Is the fan on the heatsink spinning? Second is RAM. Try again with only 1 stick of RAM in. If you have any 1gig sticks, try a single stick of that as well. Running 2x2gig will use a little more NB and possibly a tad more Vdimm.

Axis

Yeah I used the stock heat sink and the fan is spinning, and it has thermal paste.

The only thing is my computer shuts off at about the same point every single time. I'm not sure why that would result from a CPU overheat if it occurs at the same time.

I'll try it with one 2 gig stick.

when you installed the heatsink was anything on the bottom besides the thermal paste? did you bend any of the pins on the mobo? i would try and reseat everything and try it again.

when you installed the heatsink was anything on the bottom besides the thermal paste? did you bend any of the pins on the mobo? i would try and reseat everything and try it again.

Noooooo!!!

But yeah I guess that's the next step... I was planning on doing that anyways. It's just a little tight in my case with that 4870 :p

And I tried running with just 1 stick of RAM and it didn't work

Back