• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking a 6600...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sean200

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and brand new new overclocking video cards. I have overclocked my old pentium 4 2.0 to 2.54. I read the "beginners guide to overclockng video cards" but am having problems. When I overclock my nvidia 6600 even a little and run 3dmark I start to get artifacts. Also, my gpu runs at 75C even at factory setting running windows xp alone. My CPU by comparison is running 35-36C.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it just a lost cause with what I got?

Thanks in advance,

Run ATI tool to test for artifacts. And all cards run hot. How is your case air flow? If your insides is new but the case is old you might need to UG the case or fans.

Some cards just don't OC well. Did you buy a basic one or is it an OC one already?

Just my first guess, but thats pretty hot for that GPU. Even my GTX280 ran that hot with stock cooling, and it's a monster amp-pulling/watt generating thing.

Make a sig like we have so we can see what your setup is like at a glance.

I cleaned the card and re-aranged a few things to help cooling. I got the temp down to about 65 running windows. I scanned for artifacts with the ati tool and stopped when I started to see some snow on the 3d image, it didn't report any errors though. That was 450 core and 545 memory. The temp got to 88C.

Okay I put the card back to factory settings and I still get artifacts everywhere when I run 3dmark06. Any suggestions?

If you have had your 6600 for as long as I have and run as many games as I do, it is possible the thing is just showing its age. Mine is starting to give out on me as well (4200 sitting around for backup).

Back