• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MTT supported in games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firey_chasm

so, we all know it has taken a while for the gaming community to start using multuiple cores, even now its rare for a game to utalise all 4 cores. So I was wondering how games cope with the extra 4 threads? Will they have to be designed to work on 8 threads(like they do for multiple cores) or will we get the advantage of the extra threads (ie a game designed for 2 cores, uses 4 threads) right away?

the reason I am asking is I am trying to assertain the usefulness of neh for gaming currently, or if I will just buy a cheaper quad system(after neh release) and then upgrade to neha in a couple of years

thanks in advance

neha will be faster clock per clock, in addition to the extra threads. They also produce less heat. Unfortunately, if intel disables overclocking for mainstream cpus, then it may be very unfavorable to buy them right when they are released. I'm guessing it will be very very expensive. LOL

However, that being said, of course it will be cheaper to wait, but can you wait? :santa:

If the game is already multi-threaded, then it should take advantage of the "virtual cores" with no problems. Not sure what effects might be on non-multi-threaded games, as from what I understand, the CPU will run a second instruction when it has room for it. If it is running two instructions for a game that isn't programmed to take advantage of multiple threads, some things could get screwy, but I don't know in detail how it works, so I'm probably wrong.

Back