• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 running at 1.3v+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lubedkoala

Registered
Does this sound right to you guys. I'm pushing my Q6600 to 3.6Ghz and I'm finding it to be stable a little passed the 1.3v mark. It runs a little hot (sometimes as high as ~60). Is there anything that I could adjust in the BIOS that will let me keep my stability, but lower the CPU voltage? I don't know what the FSB termination voltage is or the PLL and GTL, etc. Just wondering if those will help

That is super low voltage for 3.6GHz. I wouldn't worry about that at all and your temps are fairly low too. What cooling are you using? Are you running 400*9 and your memory at 1000MHz? If you're 8hr prime stable then I'd leave it all as it is!

WOW I need 1.4v as well as a bit more on my FSB and NB to be stable at 3.4GHZ.:(
What is the VID on that Chip. 1.3v seems very low to get up to 3.6GHZ. What are you using to measure your temps. Temps of 60°C are fine under load.
Also what are you using to test for stability and how long do you run them for.

FSB termination voltage is usually called VTT, Asus like to change things as I have been finding out. They are some nice clocks at 1.3V. I currently clocking a new build wit a Q6600for a friend and I'm nearly at 1.27V and 3.0GHz is not fully stable.

I was able to get to 3.2GHz stable at just under 1.3v but needed to up it to 1.4v to get stable at 3.4GHz.

I have an early batch G0 that also does 3.6 on 1.3v on the P5Q-D. It took 1.38 actual to do the same on an IP35-Pro. the vid on mine is 1.125 if I remeber correctly. I figure it is just the Asus has much better power circuits than what the Abit did.

Last edited:
I have an early batch C0 that also does 3.6 on 1.3v on the P5Q-D. It took 1.38 actual to do the same on an IP35-Pro. the vid on mine is 1.125 if I remeber correctly. I figure it is just the Asus has much better power circuits than what the Abit did.

not better just has more phases. IP35-pro is 4phase pwm, for the P5Q-DLX has a 16 phase pwm. the P5Q-DLX has 4 times more current ability then the IP35-pro.

I have an early batch C0 that also does 3.6 on 1.3v on the P5Q-D. It took 1.38 actual to do the same on an IP35-Pro. the vid on mine is 1.125 if I remeber correctly. I figure it is just the Asus has much better power circuits than what the Abit did.

C0 Q6600? I think there are only B3 and G0's.

C0 Q6600? I think there are only B3 and G0's.
Yes, you are right. It is a G0 and not a C0. C0 is my 8400, not to be confused with E0 of the 8600, and whatever the *0 of the QX9650 sitting on my desk. I really need to start getting rid of some Core2 Duo's as I am starting to get all confused :screwy: :beer: :screwy: :beer:

Yes, you are right. It is a G0 and not a C0. C0 is my 8400, not to be confused with E0 of the 8600, and whatever the *0 of the QX9650 sitting on my desk. I really need to start getting rid of some Core2 Duo's as I am starting to get all confused :screwy: :beer: :screwy: :beer:

You can send one my way I would love to try one out. Then I can compare it to my Q6600 GO. LOL.:)

That is super low voltage for 3.6GHz. I wouldn't worry about that at all and your temps are fairly low too. What cooling are you using? Are you running 400*9 and your memory at 1000MHz? If you're 8hr prime stable then I'd leave it all as it is!

I'm running 9x400 and my ram is running at 1066 with 5-5-5-15 settings. I have the Thermaltake V1 CPU cooler and the antec 1200 case which has about 7 fans. I'm not using water cooling, just air. I'm in the ballpark of 1.32-1.35v for 8hr prime stable. I haven't tested it yet, but it seems as though the voltage would be around that.

not better just has more phases. IP35-pro is 4phase pwm, for the P5Q-DLX has a 16 phase pwm. the P5Q-DLX has 4 times more current ability then the IP35-pro.

The Asus p5q deluxe has virtually no vdroop too because of that.

WOW I need 1.4v as well as a bit more on my FSB and NB to be stable at 3.4GHZ. What is the VID on that Chip. 1.3v seems very low to get up to 3.6GHZ. What are you using to measure your temps. Temps of 60°C are fine under load.
Also what are you using to test for stability and how long do you run them for.

I have the NB voltage set to auto because I'm not sure how it works. Do I raise the NB voltage to increase stability? I thought that is why I increased the CPU voltage, and I did get stability. Would raising NB voltage allow me to lower CPU voltage? I'm sort of new to overclocking, so I don't know what the VID is or what it means, sorry. I imagine it tells me in CPU-Z somewhere. Using Coretemp and RealTemp for temp monitoring.

60 degrees under load is ok? It gets as hot as 65 maybe even a little hotter when left under load for several minutes. I was under the impression that temps that high are too hot and may cause damage.

A few things. You can't be running 9*400 and have your ram at 1066MHz as that would imply a very strange multiplier that makes no sense to me. You really want to check stability with something like Prime95 or the Intel Burn Test, and leave it for at least a few hours, but 8+ is better.

I really wouldn't start worrying about any voltages, as they all seem low and the temps also seem low. I would also double check that you're running at 3.6GHz by doing some superpi runs and listing your times. I'm dubious only because the voltage seems so low! It is possible, but it just means you have a great chip, and you should be pushing on for 4GHz.

You can check your VID in coretemp.

I'm currently reconfiguring my system so I will update you with all my specs soon. Regardless of what voltage I have set in the BIOS, the VID just shows 1.2500v. On as side note, I'm running prime95 and one of my cores fails a few hours into it. Do I raise the CPU voltage or the NB voltage? Previously I have found that I could simply raise the NB voltage and gain stability without raising the CPU voltage, but now I am at a point where I'm not sure which one I should be playing with.

Another thing. When the CPU is at idle the multiplier drops to 6x from 9x. What BIOS option is responsible for this? Is this even a big deal?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I run 9*400 and 1066, it's listed as one of the options in my bios (ASUS p5q-e) so I assume it's one of the standard multipliers. Raising and lowering the fsb will list different ram speeds for all the different multipliers in my bios.

A few things. You can't be running 9*400 and have your ram at 1066MHz as that would imply a very strange multiplier that makes no sense to me. You really want to check stability with something like Prime95 or the Intel Burn Test, and leave it for at least a few hours, but 8+ is better.

I really wouldn't start worrying about any voltages, as they all seem low and the temps also seem low. I would also double check that you're running at 3.6GHz by doing some superpi runs and listing your times. I'm dubious only because the voltage seems so low! It is possible, but it just means you have a great chip, and you should be pushing on for 4GHz.

You can check your VID in coretemp.

Last edited:
In your Bios see if you can find the C1E - Enhanced Halt State and the EIST. Speedstep functions, and disable them this wiil then have the CPU running at 9x all the time. Read here for info on this http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2725
Also have you read this. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316
If not you may find it helps a lot and will answer a lot of your questions.

Much appreciated. The C1E was enabled, but I did have the speedstep disabled. I now disabled them both and everything looks peachy :). I'm going to read through that link you posted now...

I run 9*400 and 1066, it's listed as one of the options in my bios (ASUS p5q-e) so I assume it's one of the standard multipliers. Raising and lowering the fsb will list different ram speeds for all the different multipliers in my bios.
Yes, it dependes on what Strap you are using on the P5Q. I am running 10x400 with 1066 ram myself with the Deluxe.

Yes, it dependes on what Strap you are using on the P5Q. I am running 10x400 with 1066 ram myself with the Deluxe.

How high do your temps get under load? I assume no water cooling given your signature...

my q6600 does [email protected] and its a 1.225 vid so im guessing your vid is the same as mine as for your temps their good once you get to the 70's thats when you need to step it down but hey dont stress out to much on the temps cus you will never see them again under normal usage unless you plan to do some folding@home

Back