• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to share fileserver but not internet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bLack0ut

I'd like to have some friends connect to my samba server, preferably over wired, but I don't want to share my internet connection (mainly because they all have their own). Right now, my cable modem-> router-> switch-> file server, and I'm having the plug into my switch to access it. Is there anyway to only share my files and not my internet?

I'd like to have some friends connect to my samba server, preferably over wired, but I don't want to share my internet connection (mainly because they all have their own). Right now, my cable modem-> router-> switch-> file server, and I'm having the plug into my switch to access it. Is there anyway to only share my files and not my internet?

do you care that it wont recieve updates?

you can take out the default gateway out of the mix, or even set it to 127.0.0.1

edit: err, so let me get this straight, you want your friends to get samba over the internet? is that what i understand correctly? (or are they going to wifi it?)

do you care that it wont recieve updates?

you can take out the default gateway out of the mix, or even set it to 127.0.0.1

Kinda confused... doesn't it need a gateway(the router in this case) to assign it an ip? I'm using the router as a DHCP server.

By updates, what do u mean? Once in awhile I'll run cvsup, but usually it doesn't need internet.

Let me correct the op:

cable modem-> router-> switch-> file server, main computer too.

I want to have it so that only my main computer receives internet, but can access the fileserver locally. The fileserver, and any other computer connecting to the local network, should not receive internet.

*other computers connectng may connect through wireless, if that's important.

Kinda confused... doesn't it need a gateway(the router in this case) to assign it an ip? I'm using the router as a DHCP server.

By updates, what do u mean? Once in awhile I'll run cvsup, but usually it doesn't need internet.

Let me correct the op:

cable modem-> router-> switch-> file server, main computer too.

I want to have it so that only my main computer receives internet, but can access the fileserver locally. The fileserver, and any other computer connecting to the local network, should not receive internet.

*other computers connectng may connect through wireless, if that's important.

ahh, ok.

take out the gateway on the DHCP server, set your machine with a static IP and the default gateway

that will give you only internet access, and nothing else, presuming people dont assign thier PC a static

you can also with some routers actually Deny interent access by MAC but if your friends are keen to spoofing then that drops the ball ;)

nothing will be perfect, but you can try as much as you can to do what you need to do.

grr, edit: by updates i mean if you do any install updates unless you downlaod them on your machine and transfer and compile (or rpm) them locally, thats fine too.

ahh, ok.

take out the gateway on the DHCP server, set your machine with a static IP and the default gateway

that will give you only internet access, and nothing else, presuming people dont assign thier PC a static

you can also with some routers actually Deny interent access by MAC but if your friends are keen to spoofing then that drops the ball ;)

nothing will be perfect, but you can try as much as you can to do what you need to do.

grr, edit: by updates i mean if you do any install updates unless you downlaod them on your machine and transfer and compile (or rpm) them locally, thats fine too.

Deny internet access by mac sounds interesting. This is a coop effort by my friends and I, so they wouldn't spoof their mac. I'll look into that, thanks :)

just out of curousity, but whats the point???

you say your friends will be using the lan line to conenct to your net to access your server.. if they have thier own net access, why would they care about yours?

if your friends are smart enough to spoof a mac addy, they wont have any problems bypassing your settings and getting on the net if they want.
so again, whats the point?

your kind a in a catch 22 here. you have to basicly create user accts and set profiles for users so they dont have net access.

other than that, you could pull that server off the network and add a router to it, so it is its own private network.

how about, plugging the modem directly into your computer for the duration of the time your friends are on, then switch it back once they're done?

but then you'd probly need another network card, but any good geek has at least 5 of those lying around :p

Nick

I'd say go for separate networks.
Run the modem to the computer in one NIC, and the router in a 2nd NIC.
Thus segmenting the network to meet your specs, however you should make sure you have a firewall built into the modem or installed on your computer (and not the Windows one).
You might find an option within the specific router settings that would limit the WAN port to your computer and not to other computers connecting to it, however you haven't mentioned what kind of router you have (or if it has alternative firmware).

just out of curousity, but whats the point???

you say your friends will be using the lan line to conenct to your net to access your server.. if they have thier own net access, why would they care about yours?

if your friends are smart enough to spoof a mac addy, they wont have any problems bypassing your settings and getting on the net if they want.
so again, whats the point?

your kind a in a catch 22 here. you have to basicly create user accts and set profiles for users so they dont have net access.

other than that, you could pull that server off the network and add a router to it, so it is its own private network.

Well, pretty much everyone has their own cable modem, but if I slap everyone on the same router my main computer and file server uses, windows(which is what they're running) will default to using that for internet.

Everyone has their own internet, no one is connected a lan yet, and I only have one router atm(with ddwrt for other poster), and I want to share my file server while still having a hardware firewall for my own computer(and any other computers I have on my own personal network).

I still haven't found any info on the "Deny internet access by mac" setting, so it looks like the easiest way would be to buy another router and use my current one solely for connecting everyone to a internet-free LAN and sharing my fileserver on that. I would then use the new one only for my computer and whatever other computers are on my personal network.

Back