• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

e6600

does anyone have a list of basically all cpus and the amount of wu/ppd they produce? some kinda list that has oc'd and optimized app performance would be nice:cool:
just wondering whether a farm of older cpus could compete with a cheap Q6600 setup, or any of todays modern computers

also is it possible that nehalem will produce something like 2x ppd of a Q6600 setup? and would the price:performance be justifyable for such a setup? yes i know its farfetched or (too early), but to me it sounds very interesting and almost annoying to ignore:p

We tried building a list like that once - and even had one of a sort. Then the optimizer changed and it was no good any more. :(

Older machines in general can't compete with a budget Q6600 rig. At best you can break even unless you already have some of the parts for the old system, then the older system might be worth building ...

Older machines in general can't compete with a budget Q6600 rig. At best you can break even unless you already have some of the parts for the old system, then the older system might be worth building ...

Yeah, unless you're going to buy a low budget Dell or something (looking at the site, about $300 for a celeron but as soon as you hit the C2Ds it jumps up to close to $500) you get a lot more performance just building a cheap quad system.

Nehalem (more importantly, Bloomfield) may not quite double a q6600's production, however, it will be able to process eight threads simultaneously. It wont outproduce two q6600s or a Skulltrail box most likely, but a single chip solution that doesnt require a small generator to run is looking very promising. Not to mention this just the beginning of nehalem. We'll see six and eight core versions show up next year most likely, with the ability to process 12 and even 16 threads. Nehalem is aimed directly at our little niche of the hobby right now, so I expect big things from it. Given the Core i7 800 price point (I keep seeing numbers around $250-300), I'm holding off my 2009 upgrade path until their release. I've got the majority of the components ready (RAM, Hard Drives, Video cards, case and water cooling minus block) once I start seeing some reviews on x58 boards, I'll take the plunge.

Back