• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recommendation for gaming system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camcafe

Registered
Hello,

My current system with Q6600 is too slow to play some games (like FIFA 08, and can’t play Stranglehold or Rainbox Vegas at all). What is the most two important upgrade (motherboard, graphic card, memory, etc) I need to be able to play those games normal without slow down? I am looking to upgrade my motherboard right now. Thanks

CPU: Q6600
Motherboard: ECS 671T-M
Cooling: Intel stock heatshrink/fan came w/ CPU
Memory: OCZ 4gb PC-6400 Reaper
Graphics Card: BFG Tech GeForce 7300GS OC
Hard Drive: WD 300 Gbytes
Power Supply: 400W

+1 for that.

It's not your Q6600 that's too slow.

The 7300GS is whats holding you back big time.

You also might need a better power supply to use a better graphics card.

ya
if you're upgrading anything it should be your video card
not sure how much you want to spend but a HD4850 might be a good investment for you

+1 to everything that's been said.
Consider getting a good 500-575W PSU (make sure it has the 8-Pin 12V rail if your motherboard requires it, and ask if you don't know how much amperage you need) and a more capable video card. The lowest I'd recommend for today's games is a GeForce 9500 GT.

At the $95 price point, the 8800 GT is an outstanding buy. At the $150 price point, the Radeon HD 4850 is the best value on the market right now.

I could jump in here and say something but it has all been said already. The Q6600 is still a mighty capable cpu, especially o/c'd. A 4850 and new psu is all you need for a whole new world of gaming.

what specific psu do you have? a 400 watt psu can power a 8800gt or 4850 provided that it is a good one

If you need to shave even more cash off the price 9600GT's have been popping up for $70-$80. They are a slightly cripples version of the 8800GT. Match one of those or other cards mentioned with a $40AR 500W OCZ from newegg and you have a dirt cheap upgrade that will amaze you with the difference.

Back