• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's soo lonely...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatter256

Special Member
Look at it :(. My baby is feeling lonely already...

My baby is waiting for its new LCD monitor. No more CRT taking up 30% of my desk space for me :clap:.

I took the CRT out now so that I can easily plop the LCD once I get it from newegg this Tuesday/Wednesday. Going from a 19inch CRT to a 20.1inch LCD...

I was iffy about widescreen, but after playing on a PC with one with similar games I play, I decided I wanted one. Also, I still go to LAN parties and an LCD is a must have for portability.

You can transport a 18 in CRT relatively easily. Anything bigger than that gets to be a pain.

Personally, I went from dual CRTs to my laptop display, and I miss the coloring on the CRTs. They had this "feel" to them that doesn't seem to be replicable here. However, they were older (just a little bit . . .), and the resolution on the laptop is far superior. Crisp.

I had a similar situation recently with my rig too. I moved and took it with me, but there's no way in hell I'm lugging a 19" CRT through the airport (again). I went and looked around the technology mall here and finally warmed up to a widescreen, something I thought I would never do. Now I'm using a 22" widescreen and I have a couple more inches of desktop to cover in icons I never click on. If for some reason you want to use a 3:4 resolution for something, most widescreens can switch at the touch of a button, leaving black bars on the sides.

And it's no longer lonely. The monitor came in today and it works great!

All my games look much, better now.

madhatter256, good for you! because personally speaking, its really hard to do your usual routine if one of the parts is missing. And, nice monitor!

just made the switch from CRT to LCD myself.

I too had a 21 inch crt that I bought for like 40 bucks on Craigslist, a nice Trinitron tube monitor.

It was nice, but honestly, I'm never, ever, ever going back.

I could understand a CRT 5 years ago, even a couple years ago; but you can buy a nice looking 20 inch widescreen LCD monitor for 200 bucks. Why not?

I used a 19" CRT along side this older 15" LCD until I picked up a decent widescreen LCD. Never going back to CRT now as they mess with my vision even at relatively-high refresh rates, they're large and heavy, and they produce a ton of heat and consume massive amounts of power compared to a modern LCD.

Sure, being able to switch resolutions on the fly is nice and the price is good, but it's not worth it for me to swap back for my main desktop. If I get one for free I might hook one up to a backup system though.

In the next month or so, I'll see how much the electric bill has dropped (if any) from switching from a CRT to LCD.

The only thing you need now is to get rid of that incandescent desk light, I suggest buying this or this.

6500k Full spectrum desk lighting will make reading your engineering books easier on your eyes. print up this 20% off coupon for an even better deal.

PS, both the desk light and floor light use a FML-27 bulb, you can buy replacement bulbs for $3 if you know where to look. But then again, these bulbs last 10x as long as an incandescent bulb. Just make sure to buy a 6500k replacement, because they make 3000k and 4100k FML-27 bulbs, 3000k and 4100k are a bit on the orange side, 6500k is more like the sun at high noon. 6500kelvin is the best light temperature for a desk lamp, plus in winter, your less apt to suffer from SAD ;)

PSS, These full spectrum lights save on your power bill vs a incandescent lamp. For example, that light you have now most likely has two 60watt bulbs, the FML-27 is 27watts

Also, if you have no Big Lots, got o walmart, they sell the desktop version for about the same price

Wow SSS you are really into your lights - stare at the sun much?

But you are right, lighting transforms a room and gets rid of headaches...

I know more about lighting than I do about computers. Hell I even have a compact flourescent lights with built in neg. ion fountains. Both my bathrooms have these and my bathrooms never smell like well, poo... :)

My cat also has her own indoor garden, I make her life as comfortable as possible as stress reactivates her medical condition. A couple years back a Hartz product nearly killed her, she lost all her hair, and had(s) boils on her tongue to this day. Its really screwed up as there was a recall of this product, it just wasnt removed from store shelves, the product has killed or injured hundreds if not thousands of cats. She grew most of her hair back, but the boils on her tongue wont go away the vet told me, I have to give her extra vitamin c and Lycine daily, she wasn't supposed to last a year, so her no stress regiment and her garden have her already beating the odds.

Anyway, she has lighting not even available in America, try to find T5HO 24" purple tubes. This is the best spectrum for her catnip and oat grass garden. She guards her garden and only lets me in there to water them. I tried to sneak in a few tomato plants, but she clearly didn't like me taking up her valuable space for her catnip and oat grass, so I planted the tomatoes outside. LOL

That one has CFLs As do most other lamps in my house.

Not all CFL or linear flourescent tubes are created equal, There are many types of CFL's, warm white 3000k which is orangish-yellow, then you have the blue box which is full spectrum 6500k which is a pure white due to the blue end of the spectrum. The Desklight I sugested is 6500 kelvin, and the best temperature for a desklight and the best temp for any indoor CFL or linear flourescent. Some people like warm flouro's, usually for ambient lighting when they don't want pure white light.

First off, Nice Monitor.

When i switched to a LCD, the difference was drastic. My old CRT was like a small 16", and was getting kinda old. It wasn't a high-quality ( at least, not anymore. ), and the colors were starting to bleed. For me, the change is like comparing a playboy magazine to a real girl-friend. :D

Wasn't fun lugging around that 50+ pound CRT. Took it with me to a lan-party or two. not fun. Also took it with me to a friends house in kentucky. Wasn't fun getting that thing out of the trunk of the car ( arggg, that was a PAIN IN THE A** ), then carrying it up a ungodly amount of stairs to get it into my friends room.

After all of that, i said SCREW THIS, and upgraded to an LCD.

My half-brother on the other hand, has a decent CRT. So far, i have yet to notice any color bleeding, and the quality is pretty decent. He doesn't have the resolution that i have, but he doesn't mind. He still isn't a big fan of LCD's, simply due to the lower contrast ratio, and the slight lack of good color compared to his CRT.

And to SSS...

When i saw his updated picture, i noticed that old desk lamp as well. Thought he should change it too. Not sure if i'm a fan of either design of lamps you listed ( the 1st one is too short, the 2nd one was too tall. ) But either way, Thanks for the info on 6500k lights. I'll have to make sure i buy those from now on.

What Sceptre monitor is that? Is that the Naga III with 176/176 viewing angles?I belive its a S-PVA panel if its that LCD.Let me know how good it is.Ive been eyeballing that monitor.Nice cheap S-PVA or M-PVA

Last edited:
And to SSS...

When i saw his updated picture, i noticed that old desk lamp as well. Thought he should change it too. Not sure if i'm a fan of either design of lamps you listed ( the 1st one is too short, the 2nd one was too tall. ) But either way, Thanks for the info on 6500k lights. I'll have to make sure i buy those from now on.

Check out Light of America Sun Light Lamp model 1147 or model 1127 Portable Luminaire series (Its strange as both models are almost the same, one has a touch feature that turns the lamp on with just a light touch), they sell it at Wal mart for $19.99, it's a bit larger than the one at Big Lots. I have three of them. what you don't want to do is do a Google search for Full Spectrum lighting, what happens is they charge more for the same lamps to unsuspecting shoppers. If you search for 6500k Desklamps, you'll find them for about $20, the same price as the Lights of America model 1127. Bulbs cost $5, but if you search for 'full spectrum bulbs, they charge triple, but they all are $3-$5 FML-27 bulbs for these desk lamps.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the Lights of America 1147 has the silver touch feature and the 1127 black button is the non touch on/off IMHO the silver button touch feature is the one to buy. The one pictured below is the non touch sensor model. Both are identical in appearance. Walmart sells the model 1147 touch sensor version ;)

Attachments

• Lights of America model 1127.jpg
    Lights of America model 1127.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
X20WG-NAGAII is what I have. Newegg had a sale on it where final price was $149. I jumped on it, but I also went and got an extended warranty on it since I have read these LCDs are on par with Acer LCDs, which also do not last.

Back