• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should i upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eggyhustles

I have 200 to spend..but don't know what to get..new mobo..cpu..or ram..

specs are as followed..

ecs amd690
brisbane 4000+
evga 9600gt
2 1gb kingston hyper x pc2-6400 ram
antec truepower 430w psu
western digital 120gb(main drive) western digital 640gb(storage)
Audigy 2 zs(asus xonar d2 coming soon)

i was told i should overclock..but i have no idea how too :bang head

what should i do/get? thanks

Well as always it depends what you do with your computer and what you want to do with it in the future. Gaming? Video watching? CAD or other technical work?

For example, what resolution/size monitor do you use?

In the absence of this info -- overall it seems like your biggest limiting factor is your motherboard. It's a socket AM2 AMD board, which means you can't use the latest generation or two of AMD processors. So maybe the best thing would be to upgrade your motherboard and CPU. You can get a pretty good mobo/CPU combo like this one at Newegg for under $200:

Intel E7200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052
ECS NF650iSLIT-A
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135047

Of course if you spend a little more you can get a fancier motherboard.

ECS and 650i would be a terrible idea. Too old and basically zero upgrade path

I don't game much..i just use the pc to watch movies..but when i try to watch movies in hd i always seem to get about 2 seconds of lag before the movie starts and it lags when i try to rewind or fast forward...the monitor is a samsung 2253bw and the resolution is 1680x1050

You could just drop in a dual core into your current set-up and accomplish that. I am not big the what is what in the AMD world but any dual core X2 should have no trouble with that. Quick look on newegg and you can pick one up for $40-$90, just pick the speed for your budget. I would also looking into replacing that motherboard before it goes out. ECS is not exactly at the top of the list for long term reliability.

i believe the brisbane 4000+ is a dualcore

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

yup..it is..should i look into asus?

With that being the case something else is wrong. That should be plenty of power to run HD video. May be a codec issue or something else but I have a hard time believing that processor isn't capable of playing HD without lagging.

Is your hard drive stuck in pio mode maybe? Is it slow in general? That ram is about the same as what you have no point in buying it whatsoever.

What motherboard is it? Maybe there is a bios update. Is your 120gb IDE or sata?

i was using classic first with the k lite mega pack..same issues

Well I am out of ideas but I really don't think it is a horsepower issue but something out of what with your current set-up. Either hardware of software. I am sure someone else here has some other things you can try before you spend any money.

Back