• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i use a 939 X2 on a AM2 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok thank you... why dont they sell 939 boards anymore? they only have foxconn and jetway.

I think the best 939 board was the DFI Lanparty. I cant believe they are going to do AM3. Its impossible to have your computer up to date especially when the parts are expensive and there's always something new coming too.

^ That's just how computer technology goes. I'd rather always be out of date than tech innovation going any slower than it already does.

^ at the same time though, why can't AMD stick with a socket for a while? Seems like every time you turn around, there's a new socket out with the same number of pins... you mean to tell me AMD had to have that one extra pin to go from 939 to AM2? Seems to me, Intel was a bit more forward-thinking when it designed the LGA775 socket...

Intel has been using LGA775 since Prescott debuted in early 2004. Since late 2003, AMD has released Socket 754, 939, 940, AM2, AM2+ and technically, Socket F for the FX-7x processors.

^ Sockets changing don't bother me. Much of the time, I end up using more than one motherboard during the life of a given CPU. If not, I do always change motherboards when upgrading to a new generation of CPU just due to feature set and such. Because of this, socket changes are largely irrelevant to me.

I can understand the socket change dislike from a viewpoint that was formulated more than a decade ago when we all changed CPUs frequently and motherboards cost more than the CPUs we put in them. For a long time now though, I haven't bought a motherboard that cost close to what the processor I put in it has. Ultimately, it just isn't a big deal these days like it used to be.

^ at the same time though, why can't AMD stick with a socket for a while? Seems like every time you turn around, there's a new socket out with the same number of pins... you mean to tell me AMD had to have that one extra pin to go from 939 to AM2? Seems to me, Intel was a bit more forward-thinking when it designed the LGA775 socket...

Intel has been using LGA775 since Prescott debuted in early 2004. Since late 2003, AMD has released Socket 754, 939, 940, AM2, AM2+ and technically, Socket F for the FX-7x processors.
Sockets are different because of different memory technology
939 = DDR
AM2(+) = DDR2
AM3 = DDR3

That is true
But AM2 CPUs won't work in an AM3 mobo since it doesn't have a DDR3 mem controller.

Back