• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow Transfer Speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mooyo

Got an odd issue, I've got a small network in my apartment consisting of a Linksys WRT330N gigabit router which then runs into a Netgear GS108 gigabit switch. Computer A is plugged directly into my Linksys router. Computers B and C are plugged into the gigabit switch. If I transfer a 1GB file to computer B, it does it in less than a minute. Transferring the same file to computer C, on the same switch, takes about 6 minutes.

I've already replaced the NIC, 2 different ethernet cables, even a reformat (it's a sandbox machine anyway) and nothing helps. I'm looking for an older 5 port linksys 10/100mb switch to test that out next.

Any ideas?

Update: Just plugged the cable that was feeding the gigabit switch directly into the computer and still seeing the slow transfer speeds. This should effectively rule out the Netgear switch as an issue. I'm looking towards software maybe?

Update 2: Trying to transfer a 1GB file from computer C to computer A (the reverse) takes less than a minute. WTF?

Last edited:
XP SP2 on both. Computer C was formatted not more than a week ago, Computer A was reinstalled early August.

Is computer C a multi core AMD? If so, there is a patch for just this thing.

A15G:

Issues happened directly off of the Netgear switch after some more testing last night, the router shouldn't be the issue.

Don256us, any links about said patch?

Well, I thought what the hell and configured both machines with a static local IP address before I did the patch.

Problems solved. WTF?

Back