• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Desktop: Connecting Local Drives - NO LONGER WORKS!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I have a 24/7 file-server that I also use as a portable desktop and I connect to from MULTIPLE locations. It's basically my portable desktop, browser, AIM, email shortcuts, media (music) player, etc.

Ever since a couple of weeks ago, I can no longer connect my Vista laptop's local drives to my file-server. I remote from my Vista Home Prem SP1 laptop to my WinXP SP3 file-server, and normally when I go on the file-server's My Computer, I would also see a mapped drive to my laptop. Normally I would drag stuff from my file server to my laptop drive, but now it no longer comes up.

The normal mapping path by default is: \\tsclient\<drive>

How come it's not working anymore? Does anyone else have this problem, or do you guys think something was changed on my server?

Thanks a bunch.

Did you update the RDP client recently through wupdate?

What I originally thought was that I must have done a windows update that messed it up, but why the heck would it get MESSED up if the option is still available to connect drives? =/

Thats a good question. I do know that when I updated my client a few months ago, all kinds of stuff didnt work properly with my saved connections.

Thats a good question. I do know that when I updated my client a few months ago, all kinds of stuff didnt work properly with my saved connections.

I hope new updates fix this b/c I may now have to pay for a logmein account. :( I use logmein for free also, but I can't do transfers with a free account. With RDP, I could. =/

Doesnt seem to be a problem with the current client. I was able to RDP to one of my 2k3 servers then map a drive to my desktop machine. My desktop has XP sp3.

I wonder if maybe it is Vista that is causing the problem? What happens when you try to remap the drives?

g0dM@n when you go to my computer, do you see A,C,D,etc... on (computername) ?

i've noticed that on my vista machine that i cant do \\tsclient\drive

Doesnt seem to be a problem with the current client. I was able to RDP to one of my 2k3 servers then map a drive to my desktop machine. My desktop has XP sp3.

I wonder if maybe it is Vista that is causing the problem? What happens when you try to remap the drives?
You mean when I try to do \\tsclient\<drive>? Nothing. It just doesn't connect. But what's weird is when I go to the remote desktop client and BROWSE when I try to MAP DRIVE, I see this:

OMG... I just connected to the file-server to try to get a screenshot, and now I can BROWSE and MAP the drive.

I didn't make any changes at all... now that's WEIRD!!!
Seems to be working now... I guess the only change I made was that I told the RDP options to NOT connect any drives or devices, and now I can actually browse the server end of the RDP connection.

Before, I would have the options set to connect the drives in the RDP options and I wouldn't see mapped drives, but when I went to MAP NETWORK DRIVE and browsed the windows terminal services, I would see \\tsclient and no further. It would just not connect.

I'll keep playing. Regardless, M$ def messed something up b/c if I'm able to see \\tsclient, but not map to it, something was up.

I see what you mean. I was able to browse and see \\tsclient but nothing under it..

Then I created a new RDP connection instead of using a saved one and I had to go to the Local Resources tab and check the Drives option to be able to see the local drives. Once I did that, I was able to map to \\tsclient\drive

I see what you mean. I was able to browse and see \\tsclient but nothing under it..

Then I created a new RDP connection instead of using a saved one and I had to go to the Local Resources tab and check the Drives option to be able to see the local drives. Once I did that, I was able to map to \\tsclient\drive

See I did the opposite... when I reconnected (without using a saved connection), I UNclicked the local drives, and then was able to manually map from the client end using the TOOLS > MAP NETWORK DRIVE

Why did they have to mess with it!! It worked fine b4. :(

See I did the opposite... when I reconnected (without using a saved connection), I UNclicked the local drives, and then was able to manually map from the client end using the TOOLS > MAP NETWORK DRIVE

Why did they have to mess with it!! It worked fine b4. :(

Thats weird. I noticed when updating my servers this morning that there was another update for the RDP client...

This problem never fixed itself... I still have to manually connect :(

Back